8 speed to 9 speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My current winter road bike has an 8sp cassette with Sora levers. However the rear derailleur is a 9sp Tiagra, the front derailleur is 8 speed unfortunately. When the chain and cassette wear out can I change it for a 9 speed set up or do I need to upgrade the front derailleur and do I have to make any changes to the sti's ;)

Thanks In Advance,

HLaB

Radius

SHREDDER
Well if they are 8 spd shifters they wont shift 9...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You are limited with the shifters - so 8 speed. You can get another 8 speed cassette , just about any chain wheels.....(I run TA 9 speed on my 8 speed DA setup) and even a 9 speed chain on 8 speed......

You can't go 9 speed without new shifters and a new cassette....The shifter's cost....

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
You'd need new shifters and a 9 speed chain. So it'll cost a bit unless you find someone going from 9 to 10 speed with a spare set of shifters for free....

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Cheers folks, looking at pics it looks like Ive only got 8spd shifters ;). I may upgrade in the future if my current shifters wear out or get damaged. ps how long do shifters on a winter bike normally last?

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
HLaB said:
Cheers folks, looking at pics it looks like Ive only got 8spd shifters :smile:. I may upgrade in the future if my current shifters wear out or get damaged. ps how long do shifters on a winter bike normally last?

Well mine on my commuter bike have lasted 30,000km (all year round commuting) so far and hopefully will last a bit longer......

e-rider

crappy member
Do you really need that extra gear? Don't waste your money upgrading to 9 speed when all the leading groupsets are already 11 speed - at least go for 10 speed. I'd stick with the 8 speed for now and go to 11 or 12 (or whatever it is by then) in a few years.

Top Bottom