830 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
When I bought my new Trek hybrid I decided to come into the 21st century and stop using oil on my chains and switch to wax based lubricants. At 830 miles since new my chain (KMC) is worn out and I have today replaced it. 830 miles is taking the p**s. On my old bike my chains lasted far longer with regular cleaning and good old fashioned oil. My new chain is going back to oil. I haven't checked it on the road yet but I am hoping my cassette isn't stuffed after such a low mileage, although 8 speeds are not too expensive thankfully.

chewy

They don't make them like they used to! ;)

If you are using a chain measurer they are a little premature, typically according to them I get 1500miles (regardless of brand/width) before the chain damages the cassette (0.75% chain wear) but my last 10sp KMC lasted 4000+ winter miles before I replaced it and there was no cassette damage (no skip).

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
Perhaps my error was using a Bike Hut wax lube. I am a heavyweight at 18 stone and several of my rides are fairly hilly so I guess my chains do work hard. It will be interesting to see how the new chain goes with normal oil.

In response to HlaB I did use a wear gauge!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Hmmmm.. my KMC chain (don't know the code) has lasted 4500 very hilly miles so far and was only about half worn last time I checked it. Mind you I'm a relative lightweight at 72 kgs or 11 1/2 stone and I do clean it thoroughly in paraffin every couple of months then lube with Finish Line. I only re-lube it every month or so after that.

Which reminds me.... since it's rest day on the TDF I might remove the chain and give it a soak tonight.

Top Bottom