'84 Dawes Galaxy Update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boopop

Guru
Evening, some of you may remember me eyeing up and purchasing a bike I spotted on eBay which I asked about in the eBay thread. Anyway, after a few weeks with it, here it is :smile:

1ygNd-gKCdDzJWv7TsTa9Wqy2_nKyr33GLreSVZyeNiSuROrSzCoWWjz42Nwrn3Bx3e58bO3ldfVhxTPo=w1431-h1073-no.jpg

Unfortunately it has a dent in the top tube but it's pretty minimal. For £35 I'm pretty happy :smile: So there's a few things I'm wondering:

Wheels: The hubs on the wheels are a bit rough (sounds rough when spinning, wheels move sideways when pushing sideways), and the spokes still aren't looking too hot despite copious amounts of wire wool. So...pay the LBS for a wheel rebuild, stick some 700C wheels on it, or buy some new (to me) 27" wheels?

Gears: Its lowest gear is currently 42x28. I'd like to do the Eroica ride in the Peak District next year, but I don't think 42x28 is going to cut it. So do I put a triple chainset on it? If so will I still need a different front derailleur? My other option is changing the chainset to the one which the Super Galaxy came with, which is a 36/48. Thoughts?

Anyway thanks everyone for ID'ing the frame for me. I've not got a vintage bike on the cheap, perfect! :smile:

I've got one of those ('cept in dark green) and really like it. Got it a couple of years ago from a friend who'd had it from new. I replaced the 27 x 1/4 wheels with 700c and it'll take 35 cx or 38mm smooth tyres now. The rear hub is a Shimano 7 speed cassette meant for 126mm rear drop out, but the Galaxy doesn't seem to notice the extra 3mm each side. s/h xt rear mech let's me use wider ratio 7 speed cassette (currently 13-34). I'm not a strong rider so 38/28 is fine for chainrings. The original rear rack wasn't great and that problem was solved when the rack fixings broke off! Bars are Humpert Moon Cruisers with bar ends on the front section to give a really wide range of hand positions. Looks a bit 'individual', but feels really nice, pulls a trailer to the shops and is fun on country lane and landrover track trail bimbles. I sometimes wonder if I'm going to break the (non-ST) frame on the bumpier rides, but so far it just keeps going.

180830 Galaxy.JPG

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Boopop for what you paid you can't grumble at all
i prefer 27" wheels but there is a fairly limited tyre choice which i can handle so i would get lbs to rebuild current wheels and hopefully should sort out spokes and bearing noise's . Whilst they are doing that ask them to re dish and fit a wider range 7 speed block and then if you still need more gears i would swap for a period looking triple and a new front mechanism to suit .

Should outlast you if looked after well and as @savannah3107 has said they are a great ride the old steel Galaxies so enjoy

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I've got one of those ('cept in dark green) and really like it. Got it a couple of years ago from a friend who'd had it from new. I replaced the 27 x 1/4 wheels with 700c and it'll take 35 cx or 38mm smooth tyres now.

I'm interested to hear this. I've bought a Galaxy Mixte frameset from @biggs682 and I'm hoping to put 700c x 35 wheels on and mudguards. Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem.

Yours looks really nice - I'm planning to have flat bars too.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Presumably if the OP has the original rear wheel, it will have a 14-28, 5 speed freewheel, which in my experience is a lot less user-friendly than a 14-28 6 speed because of the wider ratio gaps. If minimal changes to the bike are wanted for cost or originality reasons, I suppose fitting a slightly smaller inner chainring would be the easiest solution. Have you looked into whether any smaller size inner ring will fit on the existing mounting bolts, rather than change the whole thing? You might only gain a couple of teeth difference, but it's still a couple of gear inches reduction, which will be noticeable on a nasty gradient..

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
Thanks for the replies all, lots of food for thought :smile:

Lock was on there as I was visiting a car boot sale, actually found this, but didn't think it was worth buying (£15):

40239075_790014291370397_1713505635422699520_n.jpg

I checked the spider for the chainset @SkipdiverJohn, so far as I can tell the small ring is already at the limit unfortunately, I don't think I'd be able to fit a smaller chainring to it :sad:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I tend to regard very cheap bikes as potential spare parts donors, rather than bikes to ride. I look at what combination of parts they are built from, and how useful/compatible they are to my own bikes. If they have the right sort of bits on them, and aren't in wrecked condition, I will take a punt so long as the price is low enough.

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
I tend to regard very cheap bikes as potential spare parts donors, rather than bikes to ride. I look at what combination of parts they are built from, and how useful/compatible they are to my own bikes. If they have the right sort of bits on them, and aren't in wrecked condition, I will take a punt so long as the price is low enough.

Yeah, it did occur to me that the parts on that were probably worth more than he was charging, but I couldn't be bothered walking two bikes back home :laugh:

annedonnelly, the seatpost needed for mine was a 26.8mm and you just need to make sure the brakes you use can accommodate an extra 4mm drop to accommodate the change from 27" / 630 to 700 / 622 rim.

Top Bottom