8sp chain on 9sp drivetrain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Being a frugal commuter I stocked up on 8 sp chains and cassettes when they were on offer.

That particular bike was stolen and my other bikes are all 9sp. can I run 8 sp chains on 9 sp bikes - is there any shifting issues?

They're all Shimano

oliglynn

Über Member
The chain will be slightly wider for 8sp, and everyone will tell you that you need a 9sp chain on 9sp cassette. Theoretically speaking you *might* get away with tolerable shifting, but at the risk of accelerated wear of both chain & cassette. See if anyone responds who’s tried such a combo for in practice…

Personally I’d try to sell / exchange them for 9sp chains (have seen them for £9ish) and not risk poor shifting / cassette wear which could ultimately cost more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Moodyman

Moodyman

Legendary Member
these were my initial thoughts too.

I was hoping someone might come back and say they've done it successfully

compo

Veteran
Would an eight speed cassette fit on a 9 speed freehub, possibly with a spacer. One way of not wasting the chains or taking a hit on the cost of them. Just a thought!

boydj

Legendary Member
If it's Shimano, the hub will accommodate 8 or 9 speed. You may have a problem with the 9-speed cassette having room between the cogs for an 8-speed chain.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I was hoping someone might come back and say they've done it successfully

I did kind of look into this here.

Given chains of different make/model have different widths, even supposedly for the same #speed, you could try pressing a link sitting on a sprocket towards the next larger sprocket and see whether it can touch. If it can, it will rub to some extent.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I personally wouldn't do it. It might work but then again it might jam up on you when you're giving it the beans and cause all sorts of vexation.

Top Bottom