9 rides 3 puntures!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iggibizzle

How is your rim tape?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Once you're too close to the kerb it's difficult to move out again. Solution: don't ride close to the kerb. Stay in a line outside drain covers and suchlike. About a metre out is okay.

If the OP is riding close to the kerb, that might well be why they are getting so many punctures. All the road crud and debris is washed into the gutter, so don't ride there.

PK99

Legendary Member
I had an infuriating triple puncture on a ride recently.

It turned out that a sharp stone had gone all the way through the side wall of the tyre and was loose inside the tyre. When I rotated the tyre with my fingers inside feeling for sharp points, it simply nestled at the bottom as the tyre rotated. Sometimes she is a really devious little fairy!

vickster

Legendary Member
Is 120psi the correct pressure for a the tyre and b your weight? 100 might be better for example. But get better tyres, zaffiro rubino well regarded for a tenner a tyre if funds tight

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As what's been said.. keep out of the gutter. Not only will you pick up crap in your tyres it's awfully bloody dangerous too. Just a little wheel/kerb touch and you could be thrown off the bike before you know it.

Also check your tyres before and after every ride. Anything that sticks to the tyre will work it's way in. Get in the habit. It's a pita but it will save you a puncture.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Also check your tyres before and after every ride. Anything that sticks to the tyre will work it's way in. Get in the habit. It's a pita but it will save you a puncture.

Whilst that's doubtless good advice, I confess I rarely bother unless I happen to spot something. And very rarely get punctures now I've fixed the lumpy bit mentioned up-thread.

OP
OP
thunderlips76

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
Basically I think the outer wall of the tyre is getting a bit frayed..... The wire has started show on the edge of the rear tyre ( my last 2 punctures ) so defo a new back tyre...... May as well swap the front while I'm at it.

Just fit your gatorskins ( can be a bit tough to fit first time), and almost forget about them, my front has done 8,000 miles (700x23c) without a puncture all weathers and all conditions apart from snow and ice last winter we didn't have any, there is I reckon another 1500-2000 miles left maybe more, the rear wasn't so fortunate not because it was actually punctured, because it wasn't, it did suffer 2 pinch punctures one of which put a dent in my rim and took a chunk of rubber out (even though it ran fine for a few hundred miles after, tyre that is) and one failed patch, I reckon in terms of the tubes alone that I haven't bought, they have paid for themselves the rear did do 5,500 plus miles and would most likely got to 6,500-7,000.

Top Bottom