90 % Heart rate for 30 mins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chipmonster

Hi All

I am 36 yrs old and have been cycling on and off for two years. However, I have got a new toy which is a heart rate monitor. Anyway, I try to go out on my bike for about 45 mins, 15 mins warm up and they really going for it for the last half an hour (3 times a week).

Anyway, because there are alot of hills around where I live, my heart is really pumping. I average about 90 % and my max was 96 %. I really enjoy it but am I okay to continue and this pace or should i slow down?

Thanks

JamesMorgan

It shoudn't cause a problem, although if you exercise every day at this intensity your body may get a little run-down and would benefit from a rest day or two (3 times a week should be fine). Not sure how you are assessing max heart rate - don't use any age based formulae as these typically have large variances. As you get fitter, you may it more difficult to reach this level of exertion. Key thing is that you continue to enjoy it and don't get too obsessed with chasing high heart rates.

OP
OP
C

chipmonster

It shoudn't cause a problem, although if you exercise every day at this intensity your body may get a little run-down and would benefit from a rest day or two (3 times a week should be fine). Not sure how you are assessing max heart rate - don't use any age based formulae as these typically have large variances. As you get fitter, you may it more difficult to reach this level of exertion. Key thing is that you continue to enjoy it and don't get too obsessed with chasing high heart rates.

formula is 220 - age

not sure if correct?

zacklaws

Guru
formula is 220 - age

not sure if correct?

Thats not regarded as a very accurate method. For example, I am 55, which should give me a MHR of 165, but in reality, my LTHR is 158 and my max 187.

The best way to determine it is to do a ramp test of some description.

JamesMorgan

formula is 220 - age

not sure if correct?

Well, it depends what you mean by correct. For the population as the whole, this may be the mean max heart rate at a given age. However, the variance is such that 95% of people will fall +/- 25 beats from this. So at age 40 you would expect your max heart rate to be between 155-205. This is not very useful at an individual level. As other posts have indicated your need to do some type of ramp test to work out your own max heart rate.

Out of interest, my own max heart rate has not dropped over the past 10 years. So even if you do measure yourr max heart once you can't assume that it will drop by around 1 beat/year - you just need to keep measuring it.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
An example - I am 62, so my 220 - age max = 158. Yesterday on a club run my max recorded was 169, and I was by no means uncomfortable. I have no idea what my actual MHR is, but I suspect it is in the region of 190.

Bill Gates

Well, it depends what you mean by correct. For the population as the whole, this may be the mean max heart rate at a given age. However, the variance is such that 95% of people will fall +/- 25 beats from this. So at age 40 you would expect your max heart rate to be between 155-205. This is not very useful at an individual level. As other posts have indicated your need to do some type of ramp test to work out your own max heart rate.

Out of interest, my own max heart rate has not dropped over the past 10 years. So even if you do measure yourr max heart once you can't assume that it will drop by around 1 beat/year - you just need to keep measuring it.

Unusual. Once you've accurately determined your MHR and then do another one a few years later the correlation of one year older to 1 less bpm for MHR is my experience. Testing MHR is a very tough exercise and needs good preparation. You don't just go out on the bike and think oh I'll measure my MHR today, give it some welly on a hill, look at at your HR and say that's my maximum unless you're not bothered about getting an accurate reading.

lukesdad

Im in a similar position to JM my MHR has been 187 for as long as Ive been testing. When out riding it Peaks at 180 although did go to 183 once. This has remained constant over the same period.Never realised it was so unusual,wonder why....

JamesMorgan

Unusual. Once you've accurately determined your MHR and then do another one a few years later the correlation of one year older to 1 less bpm for MHR is my experience. Testing MHR is a very tough exercise and needs good preparation. You don't just go out on the bike and think oh I'll measure my MHR today, give it some welly on a hill, look at at your HR and say that's my maximum unless you're not bothered about getting an accurate reading.

I agree it is tough measuring it which is why I don't like to do it often. I was a bit suprised when it didn't appear to fall over a 10 year period. However, from the small amount of research I did it appears that for reasonably fit individuals they may not see much of a fall between the ages of 30-50. The figures on average MHR are derived from the population as a whole (both active and sedentary individuals).

Hont

Guru
To the OP. The above posts will tell you that 220-age is unlikely to be accurate for you. I would also say that if you were at 90-96% your breathing would have been extremely uncomfortable - to the extent that it would be difficult to maintain if an alternative was possible (i.e. slowing down a bit) and 30 minutes at that level would be close to hell.

jimboalee

220 minus my age = 170.

I can keep 165 - 168 for half an hour with little problem.

Its in the 300 to 325 Watts output region. That's standing up with the gym bike on level 21 out of 25.

I don't like doing the full Maximal Heart Rate ramp test.

I know that if I can keep 300 to 325 Watts for half an hour, I can climb up Horseshoe Pass.

a_n_t

if you were at 90-96% your breathing would have been extremely uncomfortable and 30 minutes at that level would be close to hell.

eh? I aim for 90% on 25's so thats an hour of "hell" 10's are more like 93% so 23 minutes of "hell".

Top Bottom