90 minute commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Oh yes - the ride home at 6.30 am this summer has been a complete joy. Mist, sunshine, empty roads, fresh air, foxes, all kinds of wildlife. Not sure I will be as keen in November, though.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Oh yes - the ride home at 6.30 am this summer has been a complete joy. Mist, sunshine, empty roads, fresh air, foxes, all kinds of wildlife. Not sure I will be as keen in November, though.

It's just as good in the winter !

As long as you're prepared for the cold mornings - cycling on a dry crisp early morning is fab as well ;-)

RichardB

Slightly retro
Surprisingly very few wet days in the winter.
Maybe where you are! I am in West Wales, and there are surprisingly very few dry days in winter. OK, I exaggerate, but the climate here is mild and moist in the winter, with a lot of what the locals call 'Pembrokeshire Drizzle', a fine light rain that seems to penetrate any waterproof known to man. Very common especially early and late in the day, and through winter the roads never really seem to dry out. In the last ten commutes, I have been properly rained on once, and been soaked by drizzle three times, and it's only just September.

classic33

Leg End Member
Pennines(right side) and out of 8 months, cycling 11 out of 14 days, I only got wet once going to work and less than half a dozen return journeys.
Three & half years spent cycling in all weathers, about three dozen times.

buggi

Bird Saviour
I used to do it and will be doing it again shortly. It all depends on how hilly it is to be honest. My commute to Warwick is 60 mins and I'd happily add 30 and do it every day. However my commute to Hinckley is 90 mins but its much more hilly. I find 3 days in a row too much. 2 or 3 days a week was enough for me. I now break it up by getting the train half way on some days (which cuts out all the hilly bits) or taking the car.

There other things you have to think about are...

- weather. I can do rain but a head wind can be torture if you're already knackered.
- luggage. Riding carrying cash and phone is a whole lot different to riding carrying a full backpack or panniers which will also drain energy reserves.

If you don't have to ride every day (drive in some days?) I'd say take the job. If you don't have an alternative form of transport (even if its half way on a train) I would consider carefully taking into account terrain, elevation, weather, luggage and type of bike

OP
OP
C

clf

Well, got offered the job today ^_^, I'm going to give it a go at least once a week to start with, see if I can shave a few miles off after experimenting with the route. Start in the spring so it should be easier to get into. Thanks again for the advice:cheers:

Well, got offered the job today ^_^, I'm going to give it a go at least once a week to start with, see if I can shave a few miles off after experimenting with the route. Start in the spring so it should be easier to get into. Thanks again for the advice:cheers:

Congratulations on getting the job!

:okay:

Graham

Jimidh

Veteran
Congrats on the job.

I have a 17 mile each way commute - would be interested in what you are riding. I only take about 50 minutes either way including a bit of climbing but totally on road on a road bike.

Chose your route well and you will be able to do it much quicker.

Well, congratulations on the new job and I think I would go with the general concensus here; that 90mins either end of 12 hours is a big shout. Still, I'd defo try it if I were you. Even if you do it twice a week, you're going to clock up about 150km and that's not to be sneezed at.

Best of luck and let us all know how you get on.

AM.

Tin Pot

Guru

Congrats on the job.

Here's my thread on long commutes:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/long-commutes.190513/

I built up the 60 mile round trip once a week to thrice a week.

Plan the flattest route, sticking to main roads, before you set off.

Practice dealing with flats at home.

Use two locks at work.

Top Bottom