90 minute commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clf

Either end of a 12 hour shift, is this reasonable?

Possibly looking to change jobs soon, one option might mean a long commute. I'm sure it might be possible to get the time down with a better route and increased fitness to maybe 70 minutes, but still not sure if it's doable. I know there's a few on here that do at least this, how does it work for you particularly in winter?

classic33

Leg End Member
What are the roads like, trafficwise and in general, at the times you'll be commuting?

What distance is involved?

Told, by non cyclists, that a 30 mile commute was too far to consider.

Reactions: clf
OP
OP
C

clf

I've only done it once to test it out using a dedicated cycle path for the bulk of it, the trans pennine trail. I'm sure I could find a quicker route. The times would be 7am and 7pm.
It's not the distance (17 miles each way) that makes me question it, it's the time in relation to the 12 hour shifts. I'd hate to go back to the car.

For anyone who might do similar it would be from the Altrincham area to Warrington.

I work shifts, earlies lates nights etc, and have an 11 mile each way commute, earlies it's hideous in the mornings but doable, lates are OK but nights are hard on the way home, I personally wouldn't be able to do your shifts and that far a commute, however give it a go, you may find its a fine.

OP
OP
C

clf

It would be 4 days on 4 off. The other option would be to make up the miles on my days off, but I love the fact that commuting by bike now kills 2 birds with one stone, the commute and daily exercise.
I don't really see myself as a "leisure" cyclist. Although I do go out on the odd 50 miler now and again.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I think it is a state of mind, if you are forever trying to get the hammer down because you want to get home or running late for work it will be chore. If you see it as a nice ride and a interlude between work and home and vice versa it will not matter how long it takes. I don't live in that area but cycle tracks and Pennines strikes me that winter will not be that pleasurable.

Another thing to consider is time, or lack of it. I used to work 4 on 4 off 12 hour shifts with a 90 minute drive either side and very rapidly you run out of hours, hours that you need to sleep eat and occasionally sort out the everyday chores and domestic disasters. I like what @Andrew_P said, if it's a nice leisurely ride it will be great, but if you are racing the clock it will be a chore.

classic33

Leg End Member
Did the same distance daily, on "A" roads for the best part, for 9 months. 10 hour shifts, office work.

Then two months later, change of job and started working split shifts. 240-250 miles over a 4 day weekend. Got the early hours, as well as the late done. Commuting by bike being the only way of getting there. For me. Done all year round.

What, if any, facilities exist where you'll be working? You don't want to finish work, then find out your only means of transport home is missing.

OP
OP
C

clf

Yep, facilities need to be looked into before a decision can be made, I'd love to be able to carry on cycling to work. If I get the offer I'll still have a few weeks to find a quicker route.

potsy

Rambler
It would be 4 days on 4 off. The other option would be to make up the miles on my days off, but I love the fact that commuting by bike now kills 2 birds with one stone, the commute and daily exercise.
I don't really see myself as a "leisure" cyclist. Although I do go out on the odd 50 miler now and again.
Those are the same shifts and hours I do, and the main reason I have struggled these last 15 months.

My commute is shorter at only 9 miles each way but it was the jump to 12 hour shifts that had me turning to the car much more than before.
In my old job I cycled 99% of the time, same distance but an eight hour shift.

My aim is to cycle 2 out of the 4 days now, so far I am struggling to do that, hopefully you have more enthusiasm than I do ^_^

I don't think you should do this. 12+3=15. That's 15 hours of your day. Leaving you with 9 hours for a shower or two, two meals, paying bills, calling your mum etc etc etc. and sleeping.

It's generally regarded that most people need 7-8 hours of sleep. Many can survive on less, but research shows that's not healthy. You'll be running on quite a sleep deficit by the end of the four days, which can have a negative impact on your general health, your weight, even your life expectancy. I'd suggest commuting every 2nd day at most.

Edit: and as this post suggests that moving closer to your job is not an option, I assume you live with someone. It will be pretty tough if you are mostly out of the house or asleep for 4 days out of 8.

ayceejay

Guru
As well as bike security the facilities you should look at are washing/showering and clothes storage, if you arrive in the morning and hang your sweaty clothes over the back of a chair for 12 hours they may not be looking or feeling too good.

Top Bottom