Long commutes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Ive got work in an awkward location for me that is two hours by car or public transport, about 30 miles or 50km by bike. Given traffic I'd expect it to be about 2.5 hrs by bike.

5hrs cycle commute per day seem like a lot, does anyone do this insanity?

Is it as bad as it looks?

Drago

Legendary Member
Try it Tin Man, and report back.

Sharky

Guru
Used to do a 23 mile each way on a hilly route. Ok for a while, but eventually you just get tired. Sometimes used to go by car one day and ride home, then next day cycle to work, then drive home.

matiz

Guru
It would depend on the type of work for me ,I wouldnt fancy a long commute home after a full day on a building site but would probably welcome iit if I had been couped up in a office all day

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Time of year/light and weather will play a part in this. Sounds quite a nice proposition for Spring/Summer if you have the time not sure about the Winter though. I used to do 15 miles in and 25-30 home, depending on route and it was a real grind in the winter even when I took the direct route home.

Brandane

Legendary Member
A lot would depend on how long your shift is once at work. If you have the luxury of knowing you start at 9.00 and finish at 5 pm, then it might just about be do-able. Not so if you are unfortunate enough to be in the haulage industry where you generally start about 6 or 7 am (if day shift), and finish, well .... whenever. Usually between 10 and 15 hours after start time! It wouldn't be me; even if I did work 9 to 5. :ohmy:

jay clock

Massive member
The time would be an issue. But if two hours by other methods, may be less of a worry.

Nocode

A colleague at work does it... He does 30 miles each way, slightly more downhill in the mornings (400m elev) vs the evening (500m elev). He does the morning run in 1:45 on average and 2 hrs in the evening, so that's 17+ mph and 14 mph respectively which is pretty good.

He does Mon, Tues... works from home on Wednesday... Thurs, Fri. So nicely broken-up with the rest day in the middle.

He built up to over a period of time though.

Edit: He leaves around 5.45/06:00 AM for the morning commute and then leaves 16:00/30 in the evening.

vickster

Legendary Member
If it takes 2 hours to do 30 miles by car can you alter your hours to start and finish earlier to avoid the rush hour? Would also help if cycling
Where are you going from and to? Is there wah flexibility a couple of days a week?

I'm not sure any job is worth 5 hours of commuting a day, 5 days a week!

I got called to sign some work related paperwork in London. I live in Southampton, I don't like trains, driving in was never going to happen, so I took leave of my senses and did this

https://www.strava.com/activities/343309157

The first section was such a nice way to go, whenever I have to go up to Farnham or Guildford to do stuff involving signing bits of work related paper, I do this.

https://www.strava.com/activities/423750574.
Not what I'd call 'normal' commutes, but work related none the less
^_^

Origamist

Legendary Member
I think that you might want to start off doing 2 days a week, then try 3 days and maybe by spring 4 days. You will undoubtedly get quicker, so it maybe that you will not have to spend 5 hours a day commuting by bike. Or cycle/drive/public transport part of the journey. That said, without knowing your fitness levels, the elevation profile of the proposed commute, the direction of travel (to take into account the wind), rural/urban roads or a mixture - it is still a long commute and not suited to everybody. However, if the other travel options are around 2 hours, I'd give it a go and see how it feels. Initially, it will be a shock to the system (you'll need to eat more, sleep more etc), but your body does adapt to the increased activity. You'll also need to spend more on your bike!

Mile195

Veteran
I do 40 miles return for my commute and I can do that day in, day out, night shifts, day shifts whatever because I'm so used to it but it took a while before that was the case for me. Cycling 40 miles in one day is one thing (and I'd imagine that anyone fit enough to ride 10 miles, can probably ride 40 or 50 without a problem for a single day). However cycling 40 on monday, again on tuesday, again on wednesday etc takes time to get used to.

I imagine it'll depend very much on the terrain, and how "stop-start" the journey will be. If it's flat, and you can pick up a pace and keep it, I think you'll find it becomes doable quite quickly. Maybe not 5 times a week (certainly to begin with), but perhaps 3 or something. Just make sure you eat and drink (water) sufficiently during the day at work. A 10-15 mile commute you can "trudge" through a little hungry and dehydrated, but you don't want to do it on a trip like 30 miles - it will be very hard and unpleasant.
I eat again 90 minutes before I leave work in addition to whatever I've already had. On a day shift, I also stop drinking caffienated drinks by 1pm, and sip water throughout the entire day. That usually makes for a decent ride home.

Top Bottom