Long commutes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I have six months of driving from Winchester to Reading. Shortest bike route is 32 miles, but mostly tiny country lanes that this time of year are quite unappealing so sticking to the car, doing a longer faster route which only takes 45 mins. Train would be far longer and getting off the train early and cycling a few miles will still be down tiny dark lanes

Mile195

Veteran
By the way, one thing to note that if you DO start doing it, you will need to keep your bike in absolutely tip-top condition at all times (if you don't already of course. Please excuse me if I'm "telling you how to suck eggs"). Clean and re-lube your chain regularly in the winter (aim for weekly - doesn't take long with a chain cleaning device), and check your tyre pressures once a week as well. I regularly check chain wear, and get about 3-4 months out of one over the winter if I'm doing 5 day weeks on the bike. I change the cassette every 4th chain.

If you're doing 60 miles a day, you don't want to be overcoming any more friction than you have to. You'd be surprised how much difference a dirty chain and a few missing PSI out of the tyre can make.

mythste

Veteran
By the way, one thing to note that if you DO start doing it, you will need to keep your bike in absolutely tip-top condition at all times (if you don't already of course. Please excuse me if I'm "telling you how to suck eggs"). Clean and re-lube your chain regularly in the winter (aim for weekly - doesn't take long with a chain cleaning device), and check your tyre pressures once a week as well. I regularly check chain wear, and get about 3-4 months out of one over the winter if I'm doing 5 day weeks on the bike. I change the cassette every 4th chain.

If you're doing 60 miles a day, you don't want to be overcoming any more friction than you have to. You'd be surprised how much difference a dirty chain and a few missing PSI out of the tyre can make.

Amen to that. I (foolishly) ran out of wet lube and had to use dry lube a few days last week. The return journey each day felt like I was pedaling into a horrendous headwind and my chain was screeching and scratching something rotten.

I'm sure it wasn't actually as bad as it felt, but after a long days work the psychological impact of little niggles is amplified quite terribly.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Yes, from doing it day in day out. A 50 mile day is standard with the poorer weather right now. Spring/Summer mileage can go up to 100+ a day.

Cool.

Any tips?

I'm used to City traffic, but not the long tailbacks on B roads - I'm not sure how a safe/speedy navigation of these is likely to work out.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Cool.

Any tips?

I'm used to City traffic, but not the long tailbacks on B roads - I'm not sure how a safe/speedy navigation of these is likely to work out.

You're going to have to be careful when filtering. I prefer to use the opposing lane, but if there is space I'll use the inside. Look ahead for oncoming traffic, keep an eye on the traffic in your lane to see if it starts to move. Look for opportunities to pull back into your lane when a convenient gap appears. I'll sometime indicate, but usually not. Watch out if you're passing stationary/slow moving traffic near junctions. U turners are a problem as they can catch you when you think you're OK - i.e. when there is usually nothing coming in the opposite direction (look for indicators, tyre movements). Choose an easier gear when filtering. Do it gingerly and not at full pelt. Try and pass cars with at least 4 to 5 ft due to car doors being flung open - less likely in non urban areas, but still a possibility. Work on your low speed bike handling. Unless you've developed the ability to see around bends or over bridges in daylight: wait (listening can help, but I wouldn't rely on it). At night, you can often see car head lights and this will give you an idea of whether it's safe to progress forward. Some drivers, will helpfully move over to give you more space, a few numpties try to block you. Occasionally, you will get beeped or shouted at for filtering: ignore it. If you unsure whether to filter, err on the side of caution.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Cool.

Any tips?

Best tip I can give you is keep at it, regularly, how regularly only you can decide. Yes, for a start you may find it tough going, not just physically either. As you do it more often you will work things out regarding everything to do with the commute. If you only do it once every now and then it will take much longer before you are completely comfortable.
As a suggestion, have back to back rides at a weekend to see how you fare.

I often do a 40 mile round trip to work in the summer so it's doable. I've often extended to 50-60 miles and must admit to not really noticing the extra mileage. Both leave me unable to cycle in the next day at the moment, will aim to rectify that next year.

400bhp

Guru
Amen to that. I (foolishly) ran out of wet lube and had to use dry lube a few days last week. The return journey each day felt like I was pedaling into a horrendous headwind and my chain was screeching and scratching something rotten.

I'm sure it wasn't actually as bad as it felt, but after a long days work the psychological impact of little niggles is amplified quite terribly.

What dry lube do you use? I do over 7k miles a year on dry lube only and have little to no issues. I hate wet lube as it just becomes a gunky mess, partucilarly on the jockey wheels.

I've been using Teflon Finish Line dry lube.

jay clock

Massive member
I use Prolink Gold. Excellent and does not make mucky mess
4015-422_NOC02_view1_1000x1000.jpg

You need firegazing time, taking 5 hours out of your day just commuting doesn't leave you with much time for much else. Especially if you've got a partner or kids or want to have any sort of social life away from work. And it gives you very little flexibility if you need to rush home for whatever reason.There comes a point where the health benefits of cycling are outweighed by the nagging thought of how long it's going to take you to get to/back from work and how little time you get to spend at home.

Even driving or public transport for 4 hours a day is going to take it out of you and won't be good for your health. My dad did a few years driving an hour and a half to work each way (only Nottingham to Birmingham but mostly stuck in traffic on the M42) and that nearly killed him. And as you've already found out, don't expect the M25 to be in any shape or form a reliable means of transport! Public transport is equally soul destroying, at least you can catch up on things with modern phones and gadgets but it really does remind you that you are just livestock being hearded along to do your bit of work for the 'machine'.

It's probably not the answer you were looking for, but I think the sensible option (albeit difficult and perhaps you don't have a choice) would be to find a job closer to home and/or move closer to work.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
taking 5 hours out of your day just commuting doesn't leave you with much time for much else. Especially if you've got a partner or kids or want to have any sort of social life away from work. And it gives you very little flexibility if you need to rush home for whatever reason.There comes a point where the health benefits of cycling are outweighed by the nagging thought of how long it's going to take you to get to/back from work and how little time you get to spend at home.
The time I spend commuting on the bike just means I'm not in bed asleep, which is what I would be doing if I drove to work, staying in bed for a couple of extra hours in the morning.
Things like having to rush home - once in 5 years - not enough for me to consider it a barrier.
It all boils down to how much someone really wants to do a big commute.

Leodis

Veteran
Watched a dull program about epic commutes, they had one cyclist who did 28 miles each way and about 2000 of climbing five days a week. I don't think I would have the will to live having to do that everyday

andyfraser

Über Member
Watched a dull program about epic commutes, they had one cyclist who did 28 miles each way and about 2000 of climbing five days a week. I don't think I would have the will to live having to do that everyday
If you want to know about epic commutes just try commuting to some of the small towns near here by bus. It can literally be quicker to walk!

Top Bottom