Long commutes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The time I spend commuting on the bike just means I'm not in bed asleep, which is what I would be doing if I drove to work, staying in bed for a couple of extra hours in the morning.
Things like having to rush home - once in 5 years - not enough for me to consider it a barrier.
It all boils down to how much someone really wants to do a big commute.
Fair enough if you're a morning person, it might just be time you would be sleeping, but it does eat into your evening time as well. Time you could use to spend with family/friends, cooking well, leisure and sport activities other than cycling, doing all your boring admin/tidying/DIY jobs that you've been putting off for ages, and otherwise just chilling and relaxing and doing nothing at all! (which is important if you've spent several hours that day cycling).

Plus sleep is important too! :P

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Some people just like cycling and spending the time doing just that then others.
Some like doing the long commutes, some don't.
Some of those that I know that don't do a long commute are great cyclists but happy with doing the mileage they are doing.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I have a love/hate relationship with my long commute - mostly love, but occasionally interspersed with a little bit of hate when i have to get the train/tram.

To be honest, very few people are going to commute 30 miles each way, everyday. Just find what works best for you.

I have a round trip of about 36 miles. Twice a week it's fun but I am trying to do 4 days a week, as I work one day at home and it's going to be tough over winter.

Part of me is considering either getting a Brompton and doing part train or an e bike conversion.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
5hrs 15min to be precise...

I would say there is one over riding thing I have learned from this - "plan your route very well before hand".

And "bring sweets".

An hour into the ride home I was not feeling very perky. I'd forced Google to go direct across rather than in and out of town, and got to Purley half an hour ahead of its estimated time. Feeling smug I then called up a route for the the last leg of the journey. :becool:

One punishing climb, then another, finally back into familiar territory I decided not to second guess Google and followed its "continue straight" into a dark muddy field (I'm on a race bike).

So in, short Google got its own back! ;)

I'll be appreciating the drive in tomorrow, for sure. :smile: :biggrin:

Last edited:
I do a 28 mile each way commute, from just outside Weston super mare to just before Pilning by the new severn bridge.
I only do it when I work 8hrs, not when I am on shift. It takes around 1hr35 to do but it is fairly level. I don't personally see how turning a 12 hr day into a 15 hr day works with a family( I have a 7 and a 10 year old).
You have to balance family time with it I find. Happy wife, easy life and all that:okay:
Having said that its a tremendous way to build fitness.
Can you find places to park/get alternative transport to to shorten it? I sometimes park in Clevedon, which takes it down to about 40/45 mins.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Well week two, second commute done, I've never had so much hassle cycling! 2-3hr sprints round the hills at home is fun. Faffing about traffic, Mitcham and google maps diverting me into fields, cemeteries and tubes/tyres exploding... Not so much. I haven't had to deal with a flat in twenty years(!)

That said its good to get the training in, try out the CO2 canister...and today I finally got a shorter, flat route with plenty of long roads so I managed to get home in 2hrs flat without any hassle. :biggrin:

united4ever

Über Member
I admire you doing that. Must say as a beginner myself you must be fit as a fiddle. How much do you/can you eat? Bet you don't have to worry about counting calories. What sort of state/frame of mind are you in when you get to work? Need a sit down and a brew first or can you spring into action? How much sleep do you get at night....think I'd be passing out by 8 o'clock. Fair play to you.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I admire you doing that. Must say as a beginner myself you must be fit as a fiddle. How much do you/can you eat? Bet you don't have to worry about counting calories. What sort of state/frame of mind are you in when you get to work? Need a sit down and a brew first or can you spring into action? How much sleep do you get at night....think I'd be passing out by 8 o'clock. Fair play to you.

Cheers - I wouldn't say I'm a beginner but I'm not an athlete either, according to the doc I'm 14kg, ~ 30lbs, overweight. My current fitness goal is to lose that weight.

I'm only doing a day per week so far, food isn't a big deal but I eat more at lunch those days, and take a choc bar on the rides. I've been doing 1-3 hr rides for a few years at weekends, so when I get in and shower Im good to go. The ride home is a tired one...and yes, I hit the sack pretty early which is a good thing with my sleep issues. I'm getting more sleep now than before.

The other days I drive in early and run for 20/30mins before work, which isn't enough to tire me, I can run (jog) for two hours these days - again took that up a few years ago "from the couch".

We'll see how much I can keep this up - it does mean that nothing else gets done until the weekend. But that's been a bit of a stress-relief frankly.

And it sure beats staring at rear tail lights :smile:

Wolf616

Über Member
Not in the same ball-park as your commute, but I will be starting my new 22 mile round commute from next Monday. Just as the weather descends into cold and frosty territory... Nay matter, still very excited by this. Now I have an Actual Excuse to sit on bike for at least an hour and a half every day

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Just an update and a question;

Getting used to the commute now, settled into a route - just a question on kit and materials:

What should I stock up on to keep the wheels turning and not find the bike unusable one morning?

Spare brake pads
Spare chain...?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Getting used to the commute now, settled into a route - just a question on kit and materials:

What should I stock up on to keep the wheels turning and not find the bike unusable one morning?

Spare brake pads
Spare chain...?

Also handy to have spare...
Tyres
Inner tubes
spare brake and gear cable.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

Spare brake pads
Spare chain...?

Spare bike (or two) - I have three bikes and on a couple of occasions this year have been down to one usable bike, but I am useless at fettling so rely on the LBS to keep my bikes on the road.

Top Bottom