Long commutes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mythste

Veteran
Do you have any bailout points? I commute 17 miles each way but I have the option to jump a train about 4 miles in and it cuts about 8 miles off my journey. On a p*ssing down Tuesday morning in deep December it's a welcome option.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I got called to sign some work related paperwork in London. I live in Southampton, I don't like trains, driving in was never going to happen, so I took leave of my senses and did this

https://www.strava.com/activities/343309157

The first section was such a nice way to go, whenever I have to go up to Farnham or Guildford to do stuff involving signing bits of work related paper, I do this.

https://www.strava.com/activities/423750574.
Not what I'd call 'normal' commutes, but work related none the less
^_^
Love it!

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Of course for your average commuter this is adding on a hell of alot of time onto your day. I would do 40 miles a day if i could get a away with it but doubt my other half would be amused. However if part time working or needs must and an understanding spouse/partner then go for it.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Mine is an 18km ride each way over an undulating course and I start work at 6am. That means I am up at 4.30am. Not too bad in summer but a struggle on these dark mornings. Its not much fun and so the car does get used a lot.

Im 57. Im not a spring chicken anymore.

MattDB

Über Member
I applaud you for thinking about it - I'd worry at the lack of 'down time' at the end of your day: it would probably be a rush to eat, chill for a short time and then get to bed. I think it would have a lot to do with the sort of roads you'd be riding on. My 12 mile round trip is in heavy traffic and I don't find it relaxing at all :s.

These days it goes dark about 4.30 which is a pain too.

I do about a 36 mile round trip and must say am really struggling to get going especially in the evenings with a lot of traffic and myopic car drivers

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Ive got work in an awkward location for me that is two hours by car or public transport, about 30 miles or 50km by bike. Given traffic I'd expect it to be about 2.5 hrs by bike.

5hrs cycle commute per day seem like a lot, does anyone do this insanity?

Is it as bad as it looks?
Absolutely doable and enjoyable, go for it.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Yes it's doable, this time of year you are going to need a good set of lights, 5 hours a day will likely mean new batteries / recharge every day.

Does this confidence come from experience?

And @MickeyBlueEyes ?

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I waited until 7:15 pm to leave to avoid the traffic, as per google maps. It worked. Walked to the car. Accident reported. M25 closed. Ha ha!

I'm shattered. Only two days in and I now know why commute drivers hate everything. I was sitting this morning staring at some beautiful Surrey woodland wishing I could get out and run he rest of the way :smile:

I'll try driving in before six tomorrow am.

And I'll give the bike a whirl next week on a dry day.

Early to rise, early to bed. Makes a man healthy, wealthy and dead.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Does this confidence come from experience?

And @MickeyBlueEyes ?

I do 60+ miles five days a week, though I do extend my commute, so I know I always have a much shorter route if need be.

If I was you I would be looking at doing the full route two or three times a week to start with and see how you get on.

Have you considered driving part of the way and then riding?

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I do 60+ miles five days a week, though I do extend my commute, so I know I always have a much shorter route if need be.

If I was you I would be looking at doing the full route two or three times a week to start with and see how you get on.

Have you considered driving part of the way and then riding?

It's a bit of a hassle fitting it in the boot.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Ive got work in an awkward location for me that is two hours by car or public transport, about 30 miles or 50km by bike. Given traffic I'd expect it to be about 2.5 hrs by bike.

5hrs cycle commute per day seem like a lot, does anyone do this insanity?

Is it as bad as it looks?

602995M0XX.jpg

or

brompton-s2l-2013-folding-bike.jpg

with a bit of
east-midlands-rail_2281229b.jpg

to get you half way.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
30 miles day I manage in winter , summer I can squeeze it out to 40 on the commute every day. No way on earth would I do cycle 60 miles a day and then work In between . As I said earlier the time all in for work and commuting leaves no time for anything else bar eating and sleeping. Sounds like great work life balance #notforme

Top Bottom