90's Diamond Back Ascent Refurbishment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I've got a Zaskar wants building up....

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Shakedown done. Got muddy. Back to commuter bike.

20221229_125538.jpg

20221229_125517.jpg

GeekDadZoid

Ɯber Member
Stunning job and I love that colour. Your making me hanker after a project now.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Headset was also replaced for a Tange Passage, new chain and cheap 12x25 Sunrace cassette, reduced to 7 speeds, dropped the 12 and 13, and fitted a 'bottom' spare 13. The shifters are 3 x 7.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Hubs šŸ’•, wheels - infact: whole bikeā€¦.. looks really well !

Pleased with how it's come out as it's a much used and abused bike. Built out of girders ! The hubs were Ā£50, front never built up, rear had very little use, and the grease was clean (re-packed with marine grease). They came without skewers, but had spare shimano ones anyway. Wheels built up really well with Jtek plain gauge spokes. Spokes, rims, cassette, chain and rim tape came to Ā£130. Bare wheel build with no cassette/chain was about Ā£150. Needed an additional 1mm spacer to the 3mm spacer for the 7 speeds to fit.

The older wheels (only 6 months) are cheap Decathlon jobs, but have been good - they have winter tyres on now. I wanted a set of wheels more in line with the date of the bike and other components.

The STX headset was a little tired and not locking off well as the stack height has always been a bit tight, so the Tange Passage is similar to the original headset it came with (another Tange), and it's a low stack headset, so I had plenty of fork steerer thread. Most of the bits came from SJS.

Top Bottom