90's Diamond Back Ascent Refurbishment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Having seen a couple of refurbishments done on here recently, and my Ribble 653 refurb that I completed a couple of years ago:-

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/ribble-653-refresh.270791/

I've decided to get the old Diamond Back Ascent re-painted. I'll be re-using everything, just cleaning up and putting back on. Change of cables and I'll tap out the thread on the rear drop out for the panniers to a slightly larger size as it's stripped.

Pics as I progress.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Before I started. Getting a bit tatty in places but otherwise OK
20221219_104301.jpg

20221219_104311.jpg

20221219_104319.jpg

Having some weird Forum issues on Android at the moment - just edited this on the PC

Last edited:
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

You can see the logo shadows from the decals used after a professional respray I had something like 25 years ago. They were under the laquer, so lifted off eventually. I "t-cut" the frame and appied new logos some years back - as in the first picture. Surprisinghly rust free considering it's from early 1990's. It's Tange Double Butted Cro-Mo.

Currently drying in the garage before I start on the primer. Not yet fully decided on colour, but may go a gunmetal metallic.

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
You can see the logo shadows from the decals used after a professional respray I had something like 25 years ago. They were under the laquer, so lifted off eventually. I "t-cut" the frame and appied new logos some years back - as in the first picture. Surprisinghly rust free considering it's from early 1990's. It's Tange Double Butted Cro-Mo.

Currently drying in the garage before I start on the primer. Not yet fully decided on colour, but may go a gunmetal metallic.

Nice bike and nice project!

If it was mine I'd be going for orange or lime green, but not both.:laugh:

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Grey primer

PS The BB threads will be covered for the next coat. Currently greased, so the overspray will wipe off, same inside head tube - all grease.

20221219_190645.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom