90's Diamond Back Ascent Refurbishment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Cables - bought a full set as it didn't work out much dearer than 4 individual stainless cables, and got outers, ferrules etc for £25.

Also ordered a new Charge Spoon as the existing saddle's cover is coming unstuck - the outside has already been stuck back down as a repair, but the inner edge inside the cut out is completely unstuck - can't get in to re-glue it and clamp whilst it sets, so smart new saddle it is, for £23 delivered from Merlin.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Stickers.... and heli taped cable rub areas and both chain stays - they will get knocked in the vertical bike stand at work, so I've done both as the non-drive side is against an 'anchor loop' in the bike stand and does catch it.

20221221_153102.jpg

20221221_153108.jpg

20221221_153141.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Tapped out the stripped M5 thread on the rear pannier mount on the dropout to M6, then popped a bit of threadlock on the headset threads.

New cables all round.

Popped some PTFE cable liner under the BB for the front mech cable as it rubbed on the frame (can't be having that with new paint) as the plastic guide didn't go all the way round the BB. The headset locknut did have a plastic cap which sealed the gap with the stem, but that's long gone, so I used a Garmin mount strap, cut down and glued in place - works a treat.

I'm quite pleased with how it's turned out and the paint has dried really well, fortunately it's been mild the last few days.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
'm quite pleased with how it's turned out and the paint has dried really well

Good stuff. I'm so impressed with your painting skills that I've just sent by parcel post to you my Raleigh M-Trax Cromo/Ti frame.
A nice blue on the cromo parts please. leave the Ti bare.

Ta :okay:

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Good stuff. I'm so impressed with your painting skills that I've just sent by parcel post to you my Raleigh M-Trax Cromo/Ti frame.
A nice blue on the cromo parts please. leave the Ti bare.

Ta :okay:
:whistle:

Not quite as fancy as @JhnBssll paint job, but I wanted something quite understated. It is looking a bit posh for the work bike though ! You've got to spray from about 6 inches, and start before you near the tubes and end after - stops the splatter, although newer paints seem much better these days. Also, don't get too keen on getting the paint down, a bit at a time. Lacquer needs the most attention as that can run.

It was easier than the pearlescent I used on my Ribble, as the undercoat had to be absolutely perfect, otherwise any 'mistakes' showed right through the semi transparent pearlescent.

I'll thread lock the pannier bolts though this time due to weight and vibration of an off road commute.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Seat post was a bit stuck on dis-assembly. I did have to resort to lots of GT85 and the vice trick. Bottom end of the seatpost had corroded a bit, so that was sanded down and copious amounts of copper slip applied to the post/seat tube.

Top Bottom