90's MTB build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buzz22

Über Member
This mid 90's Apollo Kosciusko mountain bike was bought a couple of years ago as a run around to take camping.
When I first picked it up:

Rigid steel frame, 3 × 7 speed Shimano Altus drivetrain, cantilever brakes, cheap 26 x 1.95 tyres.

After riding it a couple of times and enjoying it the bike got some upgrades.

How it sits now:

I bought a donor bike that had the parts I wanted to make the bike perform better. While it looks almost the same as original the upgraded parts make it a safer and more comfortable riding experience.

- V brakes and newer levers replaced the cantilevers (big improvement).

- A later 9 speed Deore LX set up on the rear and Deore shifters front and rear improved the gearing. The original triple chainrings and derailleur stayed as I was happy with them.

- Better quality front and rear wheels.

-A gel seat, new grips and new pedals made things more comfortable.

- After trying wider bars and different headsets I returned back to the original setup as it was the most comfortable.

Recently new Maxxis Ardent tyres (26 x 2.25) went on but are yet to be tried.

The bike gets used to explore the Royal National Park in Sydney which is 5 minutes ride away from my place. There's a good mix of fire trails and single track to explore and it's great to just get out into the bush for some peace.

Attachments

• 20200917_154646.jpg
    20200917_154646.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
Good work.
I doubt there are many of those about^_^

Cycleops

Legendary Member
These all rigid mountain bikes are often overlooked for fancier more modern equipment but when brought up to date like this provides a great low cost alternative. It’s really all you need.
Unfortunately the Apollo name which is an own brand of Halfords (chain seller of car parts and bikes here) is pretty poor quality so you need to replace almost everything as components were made out of cheese.

OP
OP
B

buzz22

Über Member
Mostly rusted out I would expect.
They were sold by a large chain store over here.
Local bike shops carried them here.
Not really top shelf stuff but I've become attached to this one.
There's something cool about riding a bike with no suspension on the dirt.
I'm slower than the people on new bikes but still reach the same places.

Roseland triker

Yep sure. I'm a suspension fork fan now but do like a rigid bike. Much easier to hop up steps etc.
Our best trail here is the coast path but it's cliffs up down,steps drops and hanging on the edge of sheep tracks beside a 300ft drop so the precise feel from a rigid bike is well liked.

OP
OP
B

buzz22

Über Member
These all rigid mountain bikes are often overlooked for fancier more modern equipment but when brought up to date like this provides a great low cost alternative. It’s really all you need.
Unfortunately the Apollo name which is an own brand of Halfords (chain seller of car parts and bikes here) is pretty poor quality so you need to replace almost everything as components were made out of cheese.
Most here were pretty basic too, although some models like my early 80's Apollo IV were made in Japan by Kuwahara and had top shelf components, in my bikes case a Shimano 600 Arabesque groupset.

Roseland triker

Lol the road bike does look like a bike shaped object forsure^_^

OP
OP
B

buzz22

Über Member
Yep sure. I'm a suspension fork fan now but do like a rigid bike. Much easier to hop up steps etc.
Our best trail here is the coast path but it's cliffs up down,steps drops and hanging on the edge of sheep tracks beside a 300ft drop so the precise feel from a rigid bike is well liked.
Thankfully where I ride it's not quite that precarious- bloody hell!

Top Bottom