90's Specialized Hard Rock AX build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yo vanilla

So I am doing my third 90's rigid MTB build. Of which my wife reluctantly agrees is a good hobby. It's better than some hobbies, like drinking at the pub all day :biggrin:

The first was my 1995 Cannondale M200:
20211110_121001.jpg

Next was a bike I have had for 7-8 years mostly collecting dust, a 1998 Giant Yukon:
20210320_154111.jpg

In between those I actually did up a 2014 Cannondale Quick 6 as well, which is a 700C hybrid.

If you're curious about the deets for these two, let me know. I did make a thread for the Giant here last summer.

BUT ONTO THE NEW HOTNESS:
20220228_121104.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
yo vanilla

yo vanilla

Inside there is a 199(?) Specialized Hard Rock AX, aluminum frame in small (15.5") size. I purchased this on Ebay for probably a bit too much, but good bikes are not only hard to find but getting pricey. There's piles of old MTB's out there, but most of them are Trek 800's...

20220228_122252.jpg

It is in very good original condition. As far as I can tell, the front tire had been replaced and that was it. Some initial specs:

Mismatched knobby 2" tires on ARAYA GP-710 rims
Specialized 42/34/24 170mm crank, with Shimano 11-28 7-spd cassette
Cantilever brakes
Shimano RD-MC16 rear derailleur
Specialized quill stem with Specialized 550mm 'bars
27 lbs, 5 oz (12.4kg)

So on to it wish me luck:

20220304_142124.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
yo vanilla

yo vanilla

I am open to opinions / suggestions on tire choice. Currently I have a few contenders:

Continental Double Fighter III

Michelin Country Rock

and this just popped in my head yesterday, Kenda K-RAD

Street riding mainly, if not entirely. I like a slightly narrower tire on these bikes, and all three have options under 2 inch width. I have and enjoy the Michelin's on the Cannondale, and I installed K-RAD's on my 93 Mongoose Expert right before I sold it and I did like them, although I probably only got one ride in. Other options I've found are either too wide or more money than I'd care to part with...

figbat

Slippery scientist
Nice! Love the ‘dale. I have a couple of 90s rigid MTBs in my stable - a Trek 830 rebuilt as a gravel bike and a Saracen Dirt Trax which is largely standard but is now my commuter mule.

OP
OP
yo vanilla

yo vanilla

Time to clean up the wheels. Here's what I am starting with:
20220305_092853.jpg

20220305_092902.jpg

I'm not sure the pictures to justice to the dirt and crud on them... but you get the idea.
Cleaning supplies used:
20220310_161755.jpg

On to it. I used the Mr. Clean magic bar on the rim surfaces. Again, the pic may not do justice to the dirt... this was after ringing it out a few times.
20220306_135911.jpg

And then the metal polish was used on the inside of the rims with the cotton balls, followed up by a rinse and finally a once-over on the rim surface with the iso alcohol. It isn't perfect, another round may be in my future, but it is much better.
20220306_135937.jpg
20220310_161845.jpg

20220310_161903.jpg

OP
OP
yo vanilla

yo vanilla

One more bit of cleaning. I don't have a before pic, but these water cage bolts were quite rusty, especially the washers which were completely coated brown. To clear this up I soaked the bolts in lime juice for a full day, Expecting to have a bit of work with the steel wool pad, I instead found this:
20220306_154217.jpg

OP
OP
yo vanilla

yo vanilla

In the meantime I have also re-packed the hubs. I'm sure you all know this, but I really wish my 14 yr old self knew this trick:
20220305_095052.jpg

A magnet on a stick would have saved much frustration (luckily I did learn this trick by the time I was fixing my car :biggrin:)
I do believe everything on the bike was original, right down to the grease. Just a bit of it:
20220305_094817.jpg

OP
OP
yo vanilla

yo vanilla

I've also got the cockpit all together... for the time being. New headset bearing and grease, plus the following:

Origin8 quill adapter
Ritchey Comp Rizer Bar
Lizardskins Peaty grips
LITE 90mm stem
Shimano BL-T4000 brake levers
Shimano SL-315 3x7 shifters

The handlebars I won an Ebay auction for $5! + shipping. However, they are narrower than expected so they will get replaced. They are the perfect width for my 12 yr old though, so silver linings. And the grips I stole from my GIANT; I'll pick something new once I get the 'bars sorted.
20220314_074520.jpg

In the meantime I have also re-packed the hubs. I'm sure you all know this, but I really wish my 14 yr old self knew this trick:
View attachment 635339

A magnet on a stick would have saved much frustration (luckily I did learn this trick by the time I was fixing my car :biggrin:)
I do believe everything on the bike was original, right down to the grease. Just a bit of it:

I use the ball end on a slightly magnetised allen key.

OP
OP
yo vanilla

yo vanilla

yay
20220315_185700.jpg

Delivered in a Jiffy all the way from Wolverhampton :biggrin:
It does amaze me that not only I can get things from halfway around the world pretty much just as quickly as I can from in country, but for basically the same cost. $10 shipping from the UK to WI... I can also get tires shipped to me from a LBS I know in Milwaukee for... $8

OP
OP
yo vanilla

yo vanilla

OK I am calling this a wrap - except for grips. To recap, this was purchased from an Ebay seller for $300 USD shipped, probably a little too much $$ overall, but aluminum 90's MTB's with rigid forks aren't aplenty (yes I know I have three but still).

As it was:
20220228_122252.jpg

Work performed: all metal surfaces polished, all bearings re-greased and/or replaced,
Parts NOT replaced: wheels, mechs, crank... seatpost. Pretty much it. BTW why don't we call that a saddle post?? :biggrin: The new goods should all be pictured above. I did end up with new RaceFace Evolve handlebars since depicting the Ritchey's above.

As it is:
20220318_131622.jpg

20220318_131648.jpg

20220318_131718.jpg

Total spend was a bit under $650 USD. I was less pinchy this time than with other builds. I did purchase a lot on Ebay, although I did my best to buy from local bike shop's Ebay stores (at least half). Seems like a lot to spend on one hand, although it feels like a new bike and I daresay despite not having modern features like disc brakes or more cogs in the rear, one couldn't buy a better new bike for the price. Plus I sold about $170 of items on Ebay to recoup and keep momma happy!

Bonus: I reduced the total weight by 1.1 lbs (.50kg) to arrive at 26.4 lbs (11.9kg). Interestingly, exactly the weight of my Cannondale.

I'd love to hear some feedback. Job well done? Did I spend too much? Would you have done different?

Top Bottom