9sp - 10sp. ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

Is there a noticeable difference changing from nine speed to ten speed ;)

As a recent crash left my LH STi...totalled.

Was thinking of changing, as this could be an excuse..:sad:

l@.

Yeah................chains/cassesttes are more expensive.....chains snap becuase they're too narrow(my mates snapped on the Sunday run last week and it had benn on about 6 months and not done that many miles - a Campad one at that!)..................set-up is more critical as there is less tolerance..........likely to wear more than 9 speed set-ups 9all things being equal).............

Oh and you get an extra sprocket with 10 speed of course ! Wow - an extra sprocket !

10 speed was(is) a marketing ploy by Shimano and Campg to get us to spend more money on upgrading our current set-ups.

Very few of us actually need 10 sprockets on the back.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Chains only break if you don't take care when joining them, the only one I have ever had let go was a 9-speed. The rate of chain wear is just the same, the sprockets are exactly the same as 9-speed, it is only the spacing that is different.

Set up is no more trouble on a ten and stays in adjustment just as long, if anything the shifting is a bit smoother. Whether you change from 9 to 10 is all down to if you want an extra cog or not.

Chris James

Über Member
Smokin Joe said:
The rate of chain wear is just the same, the sprockets are exactly the same as 9-speed, it is only the spacing that is different.

And to account for the difference in spacing I believe the side plates are narrower on 10 speed so the same force is concentrated on a smaller area, increasing the wear rate.

Having said that, I haven't had a particular problem with my 10 speed chain.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Chris James said:
And to account for the difference in spacing I believe the side plates are narrower on 10 speed so the same force is concentrated on a smaller area, increasing the wear rate.

Having said that, I haven't had a particular problem with my 10 speed chain.
Chains don't stretch because the sideplates wear, it is because the pins do on the inside of the rollers. It is the same with breakages, the thickness of the plate doesn't matter provided the plate isn't bent or the hole enlarged by careless fitting.

monnet

Guru
I changed from 8 speed down tube to 10 speed STI early last year. The difference was amazing...when it came to the STI's; the extra sprockets made little difference. In fact when I came to change them (they'd obviously worn far quicker than the old 8 blocks ever did) I noticed that all the wear was on about 5 sprockets - the same 5 I usually used on the 8 speed block. In fact they correlated exactly with the 5 speed block I was using when I got my first road bike.

itisaboutthebike said:
10 speed was(is) a marketing ploy by Shimano and Campg to get us to spend more money on upgrading our current set-ups.

Quite right this, but give Shimano a bit of credit - they released their 10 only after Campag had started producing 10 speed stuff. At the time of nine speed cassettes Shimano said that there was no need to add any more sprockets. Of course once Campag released a ten Shimano had to match them.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You have to understand why people use ten speed blocks before you criticise them as being unnescessary. They were developed for racing cyclists where the ability to have an extra ratio can be an advantage, as speed can be maintained without big changes in power or cadance. Shimano made the change to ten under pressure from the pros they supplied who felt that riders on Campag systems had an advantage. However slight that may have been, every iota matters at that level.

I would agree that for recreational riders the extra sprocket makes little or no difference, but most people like the latest gear anyway.

Tynan

Veteran
my new one has got 10 speed campag and I love the close ratio, really love it after the previous hybrid

granted I might not notice if someone changed it for a nine speed

dudi

dont ye be fooled by the suffolk countryside. there's many a short sharp hill round 'ere boy. let me be tellin ya!

but you're right. can do the same route on the fixie quite nicely.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
dudi said:
dont ye be fooled by the suffolk countryside. there's many a short sharp hill round 'ere boy. let me be tellin ya!

but you're right. can do the same route on the fixie quite nicely.

You call those hills?? :biggrin:

Top Bottom