A 1913 menu found during restoration work.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
As the article says, very cosmopolitan.

There's a lot of things on there that I actually cook - goes to show that classic food never goes out of fashion.

Two of my favourites there - brill in a cheese sauce and the steak tartare :hungry:

One observation though, is it's very meat-heavy, as it would have been for a middle-class clientele. You definitely wouldn't have had much choice if you were vegetarian. Although vegetarianism was heavily tied in with the suffragette movement.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
There's a lot of things on there that I actually cook - goes to show that classic food never goes out of fashion.

Two of my favourites there - brill in a cheese sauce and the steak tartare :hungry:

One observation though, is it's very meat-heavy, as it would have been for a middle-class clientele. You definitely wouldn't have had much choice if you were vegetarian. Although vegetarianism was heavily tied in with the suffragette movement.
Suffragettes were always being tied to things 😊

alicat

Legendary Member
Is that real - how would a restaurant have the technology to print a menu every day in 1913?

alicat

Legendary Member
Possibly - and it would take quite a bit of work to set up unless they were just changing one or two things a day so it would have been expensive unless it was a very busy restaurant.

It's still not stacking up imho.....

Possibly - and it would take quite a bit of work to set up unless they were just changing one or two things a day so it would have been expensive unless it was a very busy restaurant.

It's still not stacking up imho.....

Some family friends used to run a hotel and restaurant. Their basic menu stayed pretty much the same, but with seasonal variations. Daily specials were usually written on a chalk board.

Also, back then, printed media was the fastest way to communicate, and easily accessible and relatively cheap. It wouldn't have taken long for a skilled typesetter to put that menu together.

Top Bottom