A 3-loop forum ride from Hebden Bridge (28/50/54 miles)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
It's got about 600m at 15%, quite a lot at about 10% and and a couple of sections of 20%. It averages 12.5% for 1.8 km. You'd be fine but potsy and I might be whimpering a little! :whistle:

!

PS I've only gone and scared myself now! I was going to do the ride on my Cannondale with its 39/29 bottom gear but I suspect I'd struggle to get up this particular hill without my Basso's 30/28. I might nip out and do a warm-up on the Cannodale tomorrow then have a go at this beast. I have a slightly painful right leg and I think I might have problems ... :wacko:

And so the excuses begin ;) I'm whimpering now just thinking about it :laugh:
My excuses- Broken bike, sore back, no further weight loss, err I'll think of some more later :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
So I had an x-ray last week on my hip (some of you may remember I mentioned it) and went to the docs today for the results and he said "well I expected to see arthritis on your hip joint but there isnt" (so I called him a misserable bugger for expecting the worse) I have sticky muscles apparantly one muscle is sticking to the other when I stretch it. I have been getting twinges if I stretch my leg to one side so I have to go see a physio and maybe have and injection or two but the best bit is it doesnt affect my bike riding :wahhey:
That's great news Phil!

I do have the early stages of arthritis in my hips which has stopped me running, but so far hasn't affected my walking, and my cycling is okay as long as I don't climb in too high a gear. That's why I'm worried about the hill on the 3rd loop on Saturday. I might be able to get up it, but at what cost? The thing is - I really enjoyed riding the Cannondale on my last forum ride and 95% of the route on Saturday would be okay on it. I think a recce ride might be the best bet and the weather forecast is good for tomorrow and is also looking very good for Saturday! :sun:

So I quite fancy this ride but i have never been to hebden bridge and have no idea of its layout but I roughly know how to get there from harrogate (very roughly) and I have to make sure the bike will fit in the car as well.

Colin will you have a phone with you on the day so if I dont get there on time I can find out where you lot will be and can you give me some pointers on location and parking etc please.

Should I bring some rope so fiona can tow us all up the hills, from what I have read she will be round the course before anyone else has done up their shoes :laugh:

The main part of Hebden Bridge in the valley is very compact as you can see in this photograph ...

hebden_bridge_from_weasal_hall.jpg

I took that facing north(ish) across the town. The car park is almost exactly in the centre of the photograph, to the left of that mill chimney. I've linked to a map showing the car park in my first post but the Calderdale council site seems to be down. I'll check it again later. Blow that - I've drawn a map on Bikely - here - the car park is within the loop.

I don't drive so I can't tell you the fastest way to drive here from Harrogate but as a cyclist, I would come here via Keighley - much nicer roads! How about the A59 to Bolton Bridge, the B6150 to Addingham, the A6034 to Silsden, the A629 to Keighley and on up to Cross Roads above Haworth, then the A6033 to Hebden Bridge?

potsy

Rambler
I will have a bash at fitting my bike into the car tomorrow and see if it fits.

What car have you got Phil? I have a medium sized hatchback and it fits in mine as long as I take the front wheel off and put the seats down :thumbsup:

Can we do the mystery loop on the 2nd ride so Steve can do it too :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I will have a bash at fitting my bike into the car tomorrow and see if it fits.
I'd amazed if you couldn't get a bike into any car with 4 seats. Don't the back seats fold down in all cars these days?

My mate used to have no problem getting our 2 bikes in his little Fiat (Uno?) and they weren't small bikes (56 cm and 58 cm).

I've PMd you and Fiona my ride-time mobile number.

Steve H

Large Member
It's got about 600m at 15%, quite a lot at about 10% and and a couple of sections of 20%. It averages 12.5% for 1.8 km. You'd be fine but potsy and I might be whimpering a little! :whistle:

I first tackled it when the man that used to give me a lift to work announced that he had never seen a cyclist ride past his cottage (3/4 of the way up); they always got off and walked. Of course, I went and tackled it that very evening!

I gave him a wave as I rode past in front of his window and casually breezed on up the road, then almost killed myself riding up the 20% bit in case he was still watching me! ;)

You can probably work out where it is but I'll keep it as a secret until after the ride. If you don't make it, I'll show you where it is later!

PS I've only gone and scared myself now! I was going to do the ride on my Cannondale with its 39/29 bottom gear but I suspect I'd struggle to get up this particular hill without my Basso's 30/28. I might nip out and do a warm-up on the Cannodale tomorrow then have a go at this beast. I have a slightly painful right leg and I think I might have problems ... :wacko:

What car have you got Phil? I have a medium sized hatchback and it fits in mine as long as I take the front wheel off and put the seats down :thumbsup:

Can we do the mystery loop on the 2nd ride so Steve can do it too :whistle:

Following my liposuction 3 stone loss over the weekend, these hills hold no fear for me now. :tongue:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Following my liposuction 3 stone loss over the weekend, these hills hold no fear for me now. :tongue:
Now you just need to tackle the odd half-foot or so of surplus height! ;)

(Only kidding - at 6' 1.5" when I was young, I was 'tall' but nowadays I'm considered only 'slightly tall' or 'tallish' which is a bit of a come-down from my former loftiness!)

Well,so much for going out for a ride yesterday, 6.20 the phone rings,

can you come in?,2 people have phoned in sick.

Spent the shift hacking and coughing continuously,

The Manager came in at dinner time and promptly sent me home

Went to the Pharmacy for something to calm the coughing down,

still coughing all evening,wake up this morning and I can hardly walk :angry:

Think I've pulled a muscle in my back :rolleyes:

Looks like I'm out for Saturday :angry:

See, you go and organise a ride where it sounds like I might actually survive and it's on a weekend that I'm down south!

Have fun.

This sounds to me like a recce ride for the "Over The Edge Bike Ride" which is coming up on Sunday 22 May.
It's virtually the same route - albeit without any cafe stops.

Can't join you this time as i'm off to Knott End again to sit in the sun & have some brilliant fish & chips for lunch at that cafe where we stopped.

Enjoy

Gordon

Top Bottom