A 3-loop forum ride from Hebden Bridge (28/50/54 miles)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi folks.

Since I currently seem incapable of dragging myself out on a bike unless accompanied by other CycleChat members, I wondered if any of you fancy turning out for something a little different this Saturday (9th April)? (I can't make it Sunday this time because that's booked up for walking.)

It's a ride of 3 loops, which gives anybody who would like to do a shorter ride than usual the chance to join us.

Loop 1 totals 28 miles. We'll do a little tour of the hills to the north of Mytholmroyd and then drop down to the town to begin the climb up through Cragg Vale to Blackstone Edge. That is "England's longest continuous gradient". It isn't a vicious climb, averaging just 3.2%, but climbing it would be a good challenge if you haven't managed that kind of thing before. We don't mind how long it takes you. If it takes an hour to do the 5.5 miles, so be it! We'll then do a quick 1.8 mile blast down the A58 and turn off for some nice undulating lanes back to Mytholmroyd, then back to Hebden Bridge for a cafe stop.

Anybody who has had enough can say goodbye after the cafe stop.

Loop 2 totals 22 miles. It goes round to Littleborough with a couple of hilly detours on the way to take us off the main roads and get better views of the local scenery. We'll then climb back up to Blackstone Edge on the A58. That lets us do the B6138 through Cragg Vale to Mytholmroyd as a fine 5.5 mile descent.

When we get back to Hebden Bridge, there is the option of doing loop 3 - a tough 4 mile loop which I have never taken a forum ride up before because there is immediately a very hard climb; not something that you'd appreciate from a cold start. If any of you insist - I'll take you up there! Or rather, I'll set you off up it and you can wait for me at the top while enjoying the views ... ;)

So, would anybody like to join me? Especially anybody who has been put off by my longer, hillier rides. The first loop should be challenging but not a total killer for you if you have done a 20 mile ride with some hills before. Nobody will be left behind, or moaned at for riding too slowly!

[If anybody is interested, I'll edit this post later to add more details.]

We'll be aiming to set off at 10:00 so let's meet at Market Place car park, Hebden Bridge, at 09:45 (Map showing car park). It's a long stay pay-and-display car park and is only about 30p/hour. NB - parking wardens regularly patrol here and issue £70 fines so make sure you pay to at least 16:30! It's unlikely that the car park will be full at that time at the weekend, but if it is, there is a second car park behind it but that costs 20p/hour more (it is privately owned but the council administer it for an extra charge).

If you are really tight and/or skint (;)), you can usually find a free spot to park on the A646 on the Halifax side of Hebden Bridge near the road to Hebden Bridge station if you arrive before 10:00 (at weekends; all spots taken by commuters during the week).

The centre of Hebden Bridge is now pedestrianised and there is a one-way system. To get to the car park turn right up Commercial Street as you come into HB from the Halifax direction, second left after about 100 yards by the White Lion. Follow that road round over the river. The car park is then on your right.

If you are coming from the Todmorden direction, turn left down Old Gate (one way street) at the end of Market Street, just after the closed-down pub on your left. Follow the road round past the Hole in t'Wall. The car park is straight ahead on the right (not the first little one, the bigger one further on).

If anybody decides to turn up announced (it has happened before) make sure that you get to Market Place car park by 09:45 because we won't be hanging about once all those officially riding have gathered!

Loop 1 on Bikely. Loop 2 on Bikely.

Rider list

• ColinJ
  • potsy
  • Pennine-Paul (as far as Littleborough on loop 2)
  • Fiona N (if the iffy trains don't put her off)
  • phil_hg_uk
'Maybes'
  • colly (if he can negotiate time on the bike!)
  • Steve H on loop 1 (if he can negotiate time on the bike!)
  • PaulB (if he can stop coughing long enough!)
  • Svendo (if he can negotiate time on the bike!)

Garz

Squat Member
This sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately I'm at a birthday this weekend in sheffield so wont get back till mid sunday.
angry.gif

potsy

Rambler
I will see how my bike is tomorrow before making a decision on this one Colin. If its still not right after yesterdays tinkering then I will get it booked in at the lbs, need it right for SITD next week.
Is the usual car park available Saturdays?
Sounds an interesting mix of rides, should be good, and weather hopefully ok too.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I will see how my bike is tomorrow before making a decision on this one Colin. If its still not right after yesterdays tinkering then I will get it booked in at the lbs, need it right for SITD next week.
Is the usual car park available Saturdays?

Sounds an interesting mix of rides, should be good, and weather hopefully ok too.
What are you doing to that poor bike!

Yes, the usual Market Place car park. It is closed on Tuesday evenings for the stalls to be set up for the following two days - Wednesday's flea market and Thursday's general market. It is open the other 4.75 days of the week (and Thursday evenings if the council workers arrive early enough to take down the stalls).

I might be up for that, Colin - especially if another Yorkie or two want to come and make it worthwhile driving over.

What time are you thinking of starting?
That would be good. Meet 09:45 for 10:00 start? I think you should still get a parking space at that time.

Ach busy saturday.
Oh well, how about SITD then, on Sunday 17th?

I'm hoping that we will use the Calder Valley Cycleway a couple of times. I like to get away from the traffic on the A646. The Cycleway is a mixture of tarmac cycle paths (some gravelly sections), compacted soil and quiet roads. I ride it a lot on my road bike and have never had any problems on it. There are a couple of potholed sections but you just have to watch where you are going and steer round the holes. Just like the A646 really, only without the traffic! ;)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Have you lot never heard of a layin :laugh:
During GMT, there isn't a lot of choice because of limited daylight hours (assuming that people would prefer not to do much riding in the dark).

During BST, I used to suggest start times nearer 11:00 or 12:00, but people complained that it was getting too late by the time they got home. The other problem (as mentioned above) is that the car parking situation gets pretty bad here at weekends so you need to be here reasonably early to grab a space.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
During GMT, there isn't a lot of choice because of limited daylight hours (assuming that people would prefer not to do much riding in the dark).

During BST, I used to suggest start times nearer 11:00 or 12:00, but people complained that it was getting too late by the time they got home. The other problem (as mentioned above) is that the car parking situation gets pretty bad here at weekends so you need to be here reasonably early to grab a space.

I know, I just like my layins on a saturday coz despite all the cycling I do I am a lazy git :laugh:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I know, I just like my layins on a saturday coz despite all the cycling I do I am a lazy git :laugh:
Me too; I tend to have very late nights so I'm not great at getting up early.

On the eve of the recent 'Flattish Seaside Century', I was still working on my bike at 23:30. When I finished that, I spent 30 minutes double-checking the main and Plan-B routes and loading them onto my GPS. I knew that I wouldn't sleep unless I unwound for a while so I cracked open a few beers and watched TV until 03:00. I then read in bed until 03:30.

I had 3 hours sleep, then got up at 06:30, had my breakfast and got ready for the ride. I met tubbycyclist in a local car park at 08:30 and he drove us over for a 09:30 start at Whalley. I got home after the ride at about 21:30 feeling pretty tired but I still didn't get to bed until nearly 02:00! I wasn't up at 06:30 on the Monday ... ;)

potsy

Rambler
What are you doing to that poor bike!

Oh well, how about SITD then, on Sunday 17th?

I know, I am trying. Got a suspicion it's a problem with the freehub that's causing slippage, and not a cassette/chain/chainring problem like I originally thought.
Have drizzled a bit of light oil in there and will see how it performs on tomorrows commute, if it's no better then I will let the local bike shop have a look.
I may get the hybrid out for Saturday depending on the route, it is about 15kg with M+ tyres and full guards, so not exactly light for climbing those hills!! Though it does have a nice 28/34 low gear :biggrin:

Oh yeah- Come along Dan-bo, you'll be OK in the ultra slow group with Shaun :whistle:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I know, I am trying. Got a suspicion it's a problem with the freehub that's causing slippage, and not a cassette/chain/chainring problem like I originally thought.
Have drizzled a bit of light oil in there and will see how it performs on tomorrows commute, if it's no better then I will let the local bike shop have a look.
I may get the hybrid out for Saturday depending on the route, it is about 15kg with M+ tyres and full guards, so not exactly light for climbing those hills!! Though it does have a nice 28/34 low gear :biggrin:

Oh yeah- Come along Dan-bo, you'll be OK in the ultra slow group with Shaun :whistle:

At least then we'll be able to clock your lovely derriere :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Ah, that's a possibility. It did sound like a slipping chain, but with so many new parts on and everybody having had a go at tweaking the shifting, perhaps that is unlikely.

Oh right, well you have no excuse not to come then! Using it would mean that your recent weight loss would effectively be neutralised but you've still got the extra fitness and you'd have those low gears! The only real killer hill is on the last 4 mile loop and that is optional!

Top Bottom