A beginners log

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Had to pop to see elderly parents 180 miles away so no riding since Tuesday, back late Friday but then away this weekend with wife for anniversary weekend so no bike this weekend either. Should get out Monday.

How do others get the hours in?

Mine tend to be accrued when the following coincide: spare time, decent weather (ie not raining hard and not too windy) and when motivation reaches 'get off the sofa' levels. The latter can be a big factor at times. :laugh:

In all seriousness I've found that forcing myself out, come what may, a couple of times a week helps a lot as even the short rides add up over the year. Even in the busiest of weeks there's generally a couple of 'spare' hours lurking around somewhere.

Mine tend to be accrued when the following coincide: spare time, decent weather (ie not raining hard and not too windy) and when motivation reaches 'get off the sofa' levels. The latter can be a big factor at times. :laugh:

In all seriousness I've found that forcing myself out, come what may, a couple of times a week helps a lot as even the short rides add up over the year. Even in the busiest of weeks there's generally a couple of 'spare' hours lurking around somewhere.

Yeap. That's about where it's at here too. :biggrin:

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Had to pop to see elderly parents 180 miles away so no riding since Tuesday, back late Friday but then away this weekend with wife for anniversary weekend so no bike this weekend either. Should get out Monday.

Like others have said using your bike to commute to work is a good one, as long as you have clothing suitable for the elements come rain or shine you'll get the hours in. My friends and work colleagues think I'm mad but it's fun and a challenge when the weathers against you! Except head winds though that's where I curse all the way to and from work

OP
OP
C

Cunnini

Ok so got out today, and found a new experience, wind! (And no, not my own personal variety)

Did 15.5k today, but still my legs hurt more than my lungs.

So, riding on a rutted path between two fields, small gradient, side winds and it's very exposed, did I feel like I was in need of taking up swimming instead! Seriously, enjoyed today, just got me questioning other comments earlier (thanks) about bike position. How can I check it myself?

For those saying cycle to work that doesn't work for me, I'm either at home, or anywhere south of Birmingham........

Thanks to all for comments

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Had to pop to see elderly parents 180 miles away
so no riding since Tuesday, back late Friday but then away this weekend with wife for anniversary weekend so no bike this weekend either. Should get out Monday.

As best as I can.
If commuting doesn't work or is impractical, then a combination of accumulating brownie points for Mrs B to tolerate me going out on my bike for several hours, and/or going out at times some consider unsociable. E.g out of the house at 6am or 7am on Saturday or Sunday. Up to 6 hours on the bike gets me back at a reasonable time for jobs around the house and if she hasn't got up until say 9, or has gone to church Sunday morning, the actual time not being around appears even less. :thumbsup:

Big T

Guru
Why do you think your position is wrong? Ideally you should have your saddle at a height so that your leg is very slightly bent, when you sit on the saddle and put your heel on your pedal at its lowest point. You'll find that you can only just touch the ground with your toe, so when stopping slide toward off the saddle. You should ride with your arms slightly bent and not too much weight on your wrists. Handlebars should around the same height or just below your saddle height.

If working from home, you can do a virtual commute, ending up back at your house.

Gary E

Veteran
I commute (drive) just over 90 miles a day which means it's usually too late to go out for a ride in the week (I know people enjoy riding at night but I'm not one of them) so I use a Turbo Trainer instead. I usually cycle 30 miles 4-5 times during the week and it certainly helps build/maintain fitness for when I go out into the real world.

I use Zwift as I find spending any amount of time on a 'dumb trainer' incredibly boring. It's not for everyone and it's not as enjoyable as going out for a real ride but it's a useful tool if you want to improve your bike fitness.

Top Bottom