A beginners log

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cunnini

thought I'd chart my progress, and keen for people to comment, suggest, encourage, and even laugh at the efforts!

So I bought my bike a week or so ago. A carrera crossfire 2, pretty standard but I put panniers on as I nip to the shops on it for small shopping trips.

First ride is in the new members intro thread.

Second ride: it was a local 10k running race, but my wife had volunteered me as a Marshall. Not sure but think I did about 10k, but it was with a big lengthy 2.5 hour stop after I'd got to my marshalling point, this was Sunday.

Tuesday, went out and did 15k, couple of little stops, one for water as couldn't get bottle out of cage! Another stop as I lost my bottle with a bus trying to overtake me and me wanting to indicate and move to middle of road for right hand turn, so I pulled into the curb, then had another drink. Ride took 57minutes, legs were sore going upstairs for a shower when I got home!

General Q's:
Should I be pushing mileage or trying to do same but faster?
How do you get bottle from cage when cycling without wobbling all over the place?
Why do me legs hurt but lungs are all ok?

I'm trying to cycle to lose some weight and get fitter, not to challenge Froomy.....

Ta
Ian

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
My thoughts

Should I be pushing mileage or trying to do same but faster? Since you want to lose weight go for the mileage and you'll soon start burning it off.
How do you get bottle from cage when cycling without wobbling all over the place? Practice and more practice, you'll get it right eventually.
Why do me legs hurt but lungs are all ok? The legs do all the work, as you get fitter they'll hurt less.

Someone with more knowledge will be along shortly to correct me.

boydj

Legendary Member
Legs hurt because you are pushing a bit hard. Keep the pace nice and easy, use a gear that lets you spin rather than grind and gradually build up the time on the bike without worrying too much about speed. Do laps of a shorter route rather than a longer out and back to make it easier to up the distance gradually.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think it's easier to get the bottle in or out without wobbling if you only look at it in quick glances and you're already good at keeping the bike in line one-handed.

It's taken me nearly a year to be able to get my water bottle out of the cage and take a drink without wobbling all over the place. :blush: There's no shame in pulling to the side of the road to grab a drink and a snack. :okay:

the stupid one

Über Member
I'm considering mounting a bottle-holder on the handlebars to make it easier to reach the bottle and to keep it free of road grime.

Regarding cycling to lose weight, I have seen it written in many places that you get fitter by riding the bike, but you lose weight in the kitchen. Or by staying out of it, perhaps.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
For me it would be time riding as opposed to distance/mileage and as others have said quite a high cadence. 1 thing though, if your legs are aching is the saddle high enough.

itchybeard

Keep cycling as you are. Get over the beginner's ache which will go because its newish for you and your legs. Keep to the mileage you are doing. Enjoy the cycle and scenery. Lose weight, over a short time gets some hills in for resistance. It's easy, a week or two and your legs will be fine as your lungs too. Use a pannier if carrying, not on your back. Cycle to shopping, to friends house, waterproofs, lights etc you will enjoy outdoor more and feel better.

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
Try to add other fitness in if you want to lose weight, I wouldn't solely depend on cycling.
No harm stopping to get bottle out and drink , stop for,a few seconds then move on , no need fiddling around for bottle especially if you are wobbling around and potentially clatter into something , someone.
Also have rest days, muscles need time to grow and repair themselves, you'll benefit from resting.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm considering mounting a bottle-holder on the handlebars to make it easier to reach the bottle and to keep it free of road grime.
I have that on several of my bikes, so let me tell you the drawbacks:
  • it affects the steering a bit even if you get it really close to the centre (and things like crosstop levers can make that difficult) - each ml is a gram, so a typical full bottle is 750g plus the bottle pulling on the steering all the time,
  • all handlebar cages either rotate slightly over rough ground with a full bottle or scratch/bite into your bars,
  • all handlebar cages rattle more than a frame-mounted one - if the cage and mount are solid then the bottle will jiggle in the cage or it'll be so tight in it that it'll scratch up the bottle and be a bit awkward to get the bottle out while riding,
  • it's still vulnerable to road grime kicked up by the cyclist in front and passing motorists - a lidded bottle is a better way to avoid sucking shoot
Despite that, I still do it because it's more secure than a strap-on downtube cage mount that I'd have to use on frames without bolt holes, it looks right on vintage bikes and you can use a bottle with a flexible straw so you can drink hands-free - don't try it with a solid-strawed runner's bottle unless the road is very smooth or you wanted some dental work done anyway.

Regarding cycling to lose weight, I have seen it written in many places that you get fitter by riding the bike, but you lose weight in the kitchen. Or by staying out of it, perhaps.
Many people seem to value My Fitness Pal as a way of measuring food in and exercise out.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Cunnini first things first try and enjoy your rides and dont worry re going fast and hard

the more you enjoy it the more you will want to go out and the further you will want to go each time

the further you go the longer you will be out it and hopefully the fitness will come along

where are you based ? As others might live local to you and you can ride together

Just take your time, but don't ride too slow, find a speed where you don't wobble so much, as for distance, as you have now done a 15Km ride use that as you starting point, and slowly increase the distance over the next few months, try to make your rides interesting by having places of interest to visit, I have a few set routes i do, which normally have a lunch time stop at a Pub or farm shop cafe. Also your shopping trips all help in building confidence in traffic.

OP
OP
C

Cunnini

Had to pop to see elderly parents 180 miles away so no riding since Tuesday, back late Friday but then away this weekend with wife for anniversary weekend so no bike this weekend either. Should get out Monday.

How do others get the hours in?

Top Bottom