A bell that works in the rain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beany_bot

Veteran
Hi, my current bell is fine... until it rains. When it's wet it just doesn't "ring" at all. effectively useless. I've lived with it, but it was dangerous this morning. So could you please recommend a bell that you know works well even when wet. Not looking for anything crazy like an airhorn, just a commuting bell please. thanks.

My current bell is this type/style.
bell.jpg

I'm sure many of you have had / have one like this. And must agree with me that it's hopeless in the rain.

Attachments

• bell.jpg
    bell.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 63

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Lion Bell Works. Sheer visual and audio beauty. They actually cause clouds to burst so maybe not ideal.

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
Lion Bell Works. Sheer visual and audio beauty. They actually cause clouds to burst so maybe not ideal.
Thanks, A little dear for me, for a bell. Also would look out of place, my commuter is a dirty old MTB. A bell that pretty is better suited to something that Fred Dibnah created :smile:

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Adie and Acor bells tend to work well in the rain, as I believe do Crane and clones, Widek, Bibia, Basil and so on. Rotary and ding-dong ones may be slightly better, with the first few chimes being a bit muffled as it shakes the water off. Lots of European brands are good - it rains in some of those places almost as much as here ;)

I think those plastic pingers are only used because they're the cheapest way to meet the supply regulations. Even if it works for a while, it won't be long before the plastic snaps or spring bends.

(edited to split two brand names that had been mashed into one).

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Mine are made by Accor and have been going for years. Hope the PlanetX one is better than predicted !

Top Bottom