A bit miffed with Te$co

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
that they tried to give me too much change. Well, more the way it was handled actually.
On Sunday I bought a few bits in my local store and paid with what I thought was a tenner. The checkout lady gave me change for twenty. I told her I thought I gave her a tenner and she checked in her till, but still looked at me unsure.
This then made me wonder if I had made a mistake and offered my contact details should the till be under.

Anyhow, the superviser came over and we explained all this to her. She took back the tenner in question and told ME to get back to THEM the following day. I was slightly miffed at this and told her maybe next time I would just keep walking, as I was the one questioning the change given. To which she just shrugged her shoulders quoting something about 'Tesco policy'
I kept thinking it was a bloody cheek holding the money until the till had been checked seeing as I was the one making the query. Even being honest it seemed I was being treated with suspicion.

I was told today by said superviser that the till was indeed under and thanked me. Looking at the receipt as I was chucking it away just now, I noticed it says that I gave twenty pounds and was due sixteen pounds change. So I've had to take what they've told me on trust. Ok, rant over :cursing: ........................................ and breath.

Tell us your own supermarket niggles :angry: come on, get it off your chest and then put the kettle on :cuppa:

KneesUp

Guru
I think it's about time all supermarkets realised that nobody likes the serve yourself tills. They don't work properly and are nagging little sods. We as customers would all much prefer it if you used some of your billions of pounds to employ staff. I don't like being forced into using one because there is only one other till open and it's got a queue of slow-moving old people at it because they won't use the auto-till-3000 or whatever it's called because I feel like I'm doing someone out of a job, because I feel that I'd rather be dealing with another person, because I feel that if I'm collecting the shopping myself, scanning it myself and packing it myself I should be getting it cheaper and because there is some sort of error about half the time I use them.

My local supermarket has 20 checkouts that can be person-operated, and apart from the week before Christmas I've never seen more than 5 open (admittedly I go at odd times, but there is always a queue of some sort)

rb58

Enigma
I think it's about time all supermarkets realised that nobody likes the serve yourself tills.
Don't include me in that. If I'm buying just a handful of items I always use the self service tills. The ones in my local Little Waitrose always work perfectly, although the conversation can be a little one-sided. Quicker too as I'm quite capable of packing my own bag.

OP
OP
GetAGrip

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
Back a year or five ago, one of the supermarkets promised to open another till if there was more than one person in the queue. Can't remember which one, and I agree, they seem to have a policy of pushing you towards the self service tills, even offering to do it for you. I CAN DO IT! I CAN DO IT! I would just prefer on this particular occasion to stand idol and let you just tell me what I owe.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I don't do supermarkets. I leave Mrs Ian to do supermarket shopping. I really can't be doing spending time wandering around aisles with a trolly. But if I do have to use them (for a couple of items usually) then I will always use the self service tills. I see people complain about them all the time yet I have never had a problem with using them.

KneesUp

Guru
Don't include me in that. If I'm buying just a handful of items I always use the self service tills. The ones in my local Little Waitrose always work perfectly, although the conversation can be a little one-sided. Quicker too as I'm quite capable of packing my own bag.

I am lower class than you and thus frequent Tesco and Sainsburys.

Tesco machines have a problem with weighing stuff. Whether it's the database of weights that are wrong, or the tills are not well maintained I don't know, but they often throw up errors to do with unexpected items. And by often I mean about half the time.

Sainsburys machines are a little better, but are still nags. 'Have you scanned your Nectar card?' (you know I haven't - you have a special sensor for it) 'Please place the item in the bagging area' 'Do you wish to continue?' LEAVE ME ALONE!

None of them can cope if you're buying glue, knives or booze either. Or anything with a security tag on. So your 'which queue?' choice is made more stressful by having to guess how long you're going to have to wait to be 'approved' to buy your own shopping. "hmm - that bloke has asprin and she has a dress with a tag and a DVD in one of those cases so they will take a while at self-serve - plus the assistant is the ponderous and chatty lady - but then on the only manned-till they have the guy that flings everything down like it's a water slide so it takes people ages to pack it up, plus the woman in the queue is clutching about 50 coupons' - it's a nightmare I tell you. Modern life is stressful enough!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I don't do supermarkets. I leave Mrs Ian to do supermarket shopping. I really can't be doing spending time wandering around aisles with a trolly. But if I do have to use them (for a couple of items usually) then I will always use the self service tills. I see people complain about them all the time yet I have never had a problem with using them.
it's the principle of self service tills that i detest... the more we serve ourselves, the less staff they need to employ. It's all about profiteering and has nothing to do with providing a better shopping experience for their customers.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
It provides me with a better shopping experience.
but that's not why they have them.

D

Deleted member 26715

I think it's about time all supermarkets realised that nobody likes the serve yourself tills. They don't work properly and are nagging little sods.
As said don't include me in your assumptions, they are one of the best things they have in the Supermarket, I use them all the time in ALL the supermarkets & never have any issue with them, maybe it's a PICNIC issue,

Problem In Computer Numpty In Checkout :laugh:

Alan...

Top Bottom