A Bit of a (London based) Rant.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

saoirse50

Veteran
Ok..I don't usually make a fuss about bad driving or cycling. I am no absolute paragon myself, and certainly when younger, was probably guilty of riding behaviour which many, including myself now, might consider reckless and risky. So usually, I just put it down to experience and ride on. But there is a particular road where the same thing keeps happening, a bit of bad cycling which eventually caused a nearish miss and I am getting a bit fed up with it, especially as this is supposed to be a quiet cycle route for less experienced cyclists. Near misses are just the kind of thing that put them off going out on their bike.
There is a road on LCN 22, just after it crosses the OKR going northbound. Mawbey Rd and Mawbey Place. It's a messy bit of one way short roads round an estate with several turns and poor visibility of oncoming traffic for everyone. It's here http://goo.gl/HgfYiX
As you cross OKR, you go straight on, turn left then right on to Coopers Rd. If a cyclist is behind me, quite often they try and overtake before the right turn, once we are on Mawbey Place (sometimes, even more oddly before that on Mawbey Rd, which is daft as you can't see round the corner and have no idea if there is any oncoming traffic...road is really narrow too.) Usually I just let people get on with it. If they can overtake me, let them. As long as they don't then automatically sit right on my front wheel, I am not bothered about being overtaken. Then, a couple of weeks ago, someone overtook me on Mawbey Place, just as we were approaching the right turn again into Coopers Rd, with me indicating to turn right, At that moment a car took the right turn into Mawbey Place, from Cooper's Rd, leaving the overtaker with no choice but to swerve right across my path, in turn forcing me to swerve, left into the kerb. No one was hurt, thankfully and no bikes damaged.
Today, same thing happens, guy overtakes as we are both approaching the right turn..I am again indicating to turn right at this point. I feel a bit fed up at this point....hasn't been a great day so far so I am not my usual chilled zen like self. I catch up with him on Coopers Rd and alongside him for a bit. I ask him if he thought that was a sensible thing to do. He laughs at me at first and seems to think it was a perfectly sensible manoeuvre..."What, you some kind of cycling teacher or something." he says. "Well yes I am," I reply, "but that's not the point. You took a risk, which might be fine if it was just your safety at stake, but it's not" I try to explain how it can be dangerous, and my previous experience, but it's apparent he thinks I am completely over reacting and just laughs at me. We part company with him muttering something which I can't hear, but doesn't sound very pleasant.
So was I over reacting...should I just have followed my usual pattern of behaviour and ignored it?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
There's always going a few plonkers!

Sharky

Guru
You did the right thing.

I think there are too many nouveau cyclists who are lacking in experience and think they have 100% right of way without regard to other users.

Keith

I don't think you are over reacting. It's bad enough when feel threatened by the actions and road behavior of buses, lorries vans and cars, without nearly getting nerfed by someone who you would like to think is as aware of the risks to cyclists as you are.

But, yes, there are always going to be a few plonkers about.....

OP
OP
saoirse50

saoirse50

Veteran
There's always going a few plonkers!
Yes, agreed. And I have, as I said, behaved like one, myself, on occasions. It's one of the reasons I usually let things go. That and the fact that, overwhelmingly the greatest danger on the roads comes from motor traffic and not other cyclists. But this keeps happening at this location and, if anyone knows it, it is meant to be a quiet route, the kind that are meant to feel safer for less experienced cyclists. I guess I am also hoping people who use this route might see this post and think a bit about whether they do this or not and, if getting there fast and ahead of everyone is that important to them, they might stick to the main road route.
It's becoming a bit of a problem, I believe, in London. Cyclists who want to zoom about using quieter routes which are not suitable for the speeds and cycling style they are attempting. I suppose while most of our campaigning efforts are aimed at reducing, removing and calming motor traffic (rightly so) the more agressive cyclists among us can feel justified in their behaviour. One of my worries, wearing my cycle instructor hat now, is that many of my less experienced trainees do find it very alienating. So, as I am busy trying to encourage them on to quiet routes to practise and improve their skills and increase their confidence, I would rather those more aggressive cyclists (I say aggressive, not assertive...very different cycling styles) get some lessons themselves, or at the very least, keep off those quiet routes and stick to main roads where other cyclists are better equipped to deal with them and less likely to be intimidated.

vickster

Legendary Member
I took a tumble this morning after clipping the back wheel of a cyclist who cut across me. Luckily gravel rash and hurt pride only. At Waterloo, lots of cyclists. I think sometimes they scare me more than motor vehicles!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You're turning right, and indicating a right turn and yet he overtakes on the right................Nobber of the first order.:cursing:
How do these people expect to survive on roads.:headshake:

hatwell

Regular
I have two choices on my ride to work one is Brixton Hill, a fairly busy road and the other is Clapham Road which is busy but has a CS. I invariably choose BH because when I've been on the CS it is far too busy with people who clearly think they're the business but are not cycling particularly considerately...

PK99

Legendary Member
i can't remember the last time i had go take evasive action to avoid a collision with a car, but it very regularly happens when other cyclist behave like total prats

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The occasion when I broke my arm was initially set up by a cyclist overtaking me whilst I was signalling right, so no I don't think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

There are some cyclists who are selfish and don't consider how their actions impacts on others. Just because he didn't take the message on board now, doesn't necessarily mean that he won't mull over it and think of you when he gets to that point in the future, and perhaps alter his behaviour. You can but hope. I know I have occasionally thought quite a bit about words I've had from a cyclist even if I didn't agree with their opinion.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have two choices on my ride to work one is Brixton Hill, a fairly busy road and the other is Clapham Road which is busy but has a CS. I invariably choose BH because when I've been on the CS it is far too busy with people who clearly think they're the business but are not cycling particularly considerately...
Yes, I cut across Clapham pavement, round the back and along Wandsworth Road to Vauxhall to avoid Clapham HS and Stockwell. I now need to find a way of avoiding Tooting, Balham and after today, Waterloo! I'm not blaming the other guy, but he also moved away slowly while faffing around trying to clip in his feet I think!!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
My overwhelming impression of my now occasional forays on two wheels in the smoke is that many, most even, urban cyclists there ride just like how they would drive; far too many are 'must get past' cockwomble knobjockeys. A significant proportion of the remainder, often found on Boris Bikes, ride like their heads are in the clouds enjoying a lovely day dream in lalaland.

But every so often I encounter a rider so stylish, so classy, so assertive, so able to execute a 60 second track stand without moving an inch, so well able to read the road and the traffic, it is like they control it telepathically, that it takes my breath away and I think "Thank goodness someone knows how to ride."

Last edited:
OP
OP
saoirse50

saoirse50

Veteran
Yes...it's part of what I love about London, it's diversity. So I guess I should go back to not moaning and accept the fact that, in a big, vibrant busy city you are bound to encounter the whole range of human experience and behaviour. Adopt a kind of Hindu philosophical approach to it all, I guess.
It's just that on those occasional bad days one has (and yesterday was one of them) it's hard to hold on to that, and not succumb to the overwhelming impulse to grab the really annoying individuals by the throat and shake them. (Did I say it was a bad day?)

Top Bottom