a bit of a scare!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Last week end, while visiting our daughter in North Devon, I had to visit the local hospital as I thought I had a heart attack. Let me explain:
Got up on saturday morning and felt like having a hang over due to a few glasses of red wine the night before. Had breakfast and then we all went out, intending to go to Plymouth for the day.
My son in law was driving. After a few miles, I felt like I was being car sick and asked my son in law to stop the car as I thought I was going to throw up.
I got out of the car and straight away felt very weak and staggered to a bus stop. By then, my wife and daughter were out of the car too and supporting me so I wouldn't fall on the pavement. My wife said I looked very white and ghostly and thought I was having a stroke. I had no feelings below my neck.
Fortunatly, A&E was round the corner and they took me there. Doctors checked me out, took a blood and urine test and x- rayed my heart. I was also all wired up and connnected to a drip. In the end, all was cleared and they said it wasn't a heart attack as my heart looked fine on the x-ray. They let me go as I felt ok by then and said it could be one of those things that cant be explained!
I went to see my GP when we got back to N.Wales and he sent me for a blood test.He couldn't find anything wrong with my heart either! I should get the results of the blood test next week so another visit to my GP then.
They all said I can carry on cycling as we all know excercise is good anyway but I have not been on my bike yet as I am worried that it might happen again when I am out on the road.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I suppose the good news is that you noticed the symptoms early enough and were able to respond in time to get the car stopped. If the same thing were ever to happen again when you're out cycling you will notice the symptoms in time to take a breather. And, in case you might need to bail out, carry a phone with you when you're out so you can call family or a taxi to get you home.

Octet

Veteran
As Deptfordmarmoset has said,

Also carry some form of ID with an ICE (In Case of Emergency) number on it. In case worst comes to worst and you are unconscious or unable to communicate clearly. That way if a bystander has to intervene they can not only call for an ambulance but also alert your wife.

Hope they discover the root to the problem as soon as possible and that you recover fine!

Sandra6

Veteran
From other people telling me about their illness it sounds like vertigo. Was that ever mentioned?
I hope you're ok now though, try not to worry yourself about it happening again and like a pp said carry an emergency contact, just in case.

Pauluk

Have you been under any stress recently (sometimes that needs some thought). You probably just need a bit more time to get some confidence back.

asterix

Comrade Member
After my sub-dural haematoma I can get the symptoms as you describe them. The nausea is very like motion sickness. It has never happened when cycling as it is due to circulation and the more active I am the better. I hope you find out the cause and can regain your confidence.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I'm sure someone somewhere will know what the cause is - keep on trying to get to the bottom of it.

My mate persisted in getting referrals for his strange disorder and luckily came to the attention to a doctor able to recognise Adult Onset Stills disease. Most GP's wouldn't even think about this never mind know what the symptoms are.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Back on the bike but I do not take any notice of my average speed anymore. I just ride for the enjoyment and exercise from now on. I feel good and seem to be back to normal. Doctors visit on wednesday and I hope he will able to shed some light on it and not just come up with: "it is one of those things we cant explain".

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Back on the bike but I do not take any notice of my average speed anymore. I just ride for the enjoyment and exercise from now on. I feel good and seem to be back to normal. Doctors visit on wednesday and I hope he will able to shed some light on it and not just come up with: "it is one of those things we cant explain".
Good to hear you're out and about again, Gavroche. Enjoyment and exercise is what we're nearly all after.

02GF74

Über Member
paplpitations or irregular heartbeat - do you remember what your pulse was like? if you partake in regular exercise, then you are unlikley to have heart disease i.e. so not heart attack.
... and ofcourse, if the docs cannot tell you what it was, it is unlikley anybody on a forum will either so take with a pinch of salt any diagnoses.

Top Bottom