A bit unlucky

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I was happily cycling along enjoying my weekend ride when I came across a closed road which ruined my planned route. Tutting to myself I turned the bike around, and being distracted by the awfulness of having to rethink my route, I promptly got hit in the face with a branch that I cycled into. Not only was my route spoiled but I then had to ride home to attend to my face. I felt very unlucky :laugh: Everyone nearby was wondering why that cyclist had a face like thunder ^_^ That was about the one ride I have done this year where I haven't worn my cycling glasses either!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I was happily cycling along enjoying my weekend ride when I came across a closed road which ruined my planned route. Tutting to myself I turned the bike around, and being distracted by the awfulness of having to rethink my route, I promptly got hit in the face with a branch that I cycled into. Not only was my route spoiled but I then had to ride home to attend to my face. I felt very unlucky :laugh: Everyone nearby was wondering why that cyclist had a face like thunder ^_^ That was about the one ride I have done this year where I haven't worn my cycling glasses either!

Have you bought a lottery ticket today? :laugh:

Slick

Guru
I fear it was my determination to carry on my planned route today that lead to my rear mech collapsing. You did the right thing despite the slap in the pus.:okay:

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Whenever I see a "road closed" sign I generally press on as roads that are closed to motor vehicles are often ok for bikes, although you may need to become a pedestrian for a bit. This can backfire - on one occasion the closed road was actually a river bridge. Doh!

Sorry to read about your branch/face interaction experience. I didn't laugh, honest ;)

^^This^^
If it doesn't work out, you just cycle back and find a new route. Although on one occasion, having ignored the road closed signs, I did find myself on a triathlon route for about two miles and being cheered by the early spectators, which was slightly embarrassing.:smile::unsure:

I didn't really fancy cycling down a big hole with pipes everywhere. Nor did I fancy dodging the excavators and pneumatic drills or taking my chances with the burly workmen. Plus there was the slight problem of the massive fence that had been put up. ;)

al3xsh

Über Member
Whenever I see a "road closed" sign I generally press on as roads that are closed to motor vehicles are often ok for bikes, although you may need to become a pedestrian for a bit. This can backfire - on one occasion the closed road was actually a river bridge. Doh!

Sorry to read about your branch/face interaction experience. I didn't laugh, honest ;)

The was one road in the peaks (the climb up through abney, just out of hathersage) which had been closed to motor traffic for years*. It's a lovely climb - about 3 or 4 miles with very little traffic - and so, ignoring the road closed signs, I rode up it one day only to get all the way to the top and find that they had actually closed it to _all_ traffic! Cue 3 miles back down the hill and a search for an alternative way round!

:-(

*It's open again now.

Lol, I assumed that about 5 years back. Cycled by the signs for about 2 miles fully expecting to get off and walk around the problem. They were lifting a railway bridge (a once in a lifetime event) and it was completely closed and the only option was to backtrack the 2 miles. I felt unlucky that day, I didn't hit a branch though so maybe I was lucky afterall :laugh:

Have you bought a lottery ticket today? :laugh:

Sods law he will win it next week instead, and then get attacked and killed by a bear.

tyred

Legendary Member
I always ignore road closed signs on the basis that with a bike, there will always be a way through even if it means having to walk. Once on a minor and very narrow country, it turned out they were doing complete re-surfacing work so in the interests of preserving my tyres I ended up carrying my bike over about two hundred yards of fresh, hot steaming tar which destroyed the soles of my trainers and the build-up of tar effectively glued my feet to the pedals when I could recommence riding. The fumes from the new road surface almost made me sick.

The road was very narrow with high hawthorn hedges so there wasn't even a grass verge to walk on.

I had that problem on the A3055, Undercliff Drive, on the Isle of Wight.
Following my satnav, I went down passed a couple of road closed signs down to an impassable barrier due to landslide further on.
Slogged back up the hill and started to work out a new route.
I ended up turning left one junction to early and went down a steeper hill back to the barrier .... :angry:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I always ignore Road Closed signs and carry on, confident I'll get through. Did it a few years ago with my buddy and we came across a bridge over a largish stream that had been partially dismantled and was fenced off. There was an old bugger up a ladder fixing his gutters who mocked us: "Oh yes here we go, two more who ignored the signs and are going to have to turn back! There's always a few!" Well that was red rag to a bull so by plodging through a muddy field and balancing across a main service pipe that ran across the stream, alongside the remains of the bridge parapet, we managed to get across and continue on our way, enjoying the empty road. Silly old sod.

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Plus there was the slight problem of the massive fence that had been put up. ;)

I coulda strangled the buggers who did this. No previous warning signs either. 3-4 mile back track to find a way around it.

Attachments

• IMG_1481.JPG
    IMG_1481.JPG
    345.9 KB · Views: 44
Top Bottom