A blow for Rugby Union....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are you sure they knew the risks? I think its only just coming to light recently. As in football. Although in the latter case it maybe due the much heavier leather football?
I think much debated up thread. Yes to some extent I believe they do but play knowing risks.

Whereas Union is the Rugger boys, from University and the upper echelons of society.
I played till I was 58, I never came across a team that was not predominantly working class.

Last edited by a moderator:

DRM

Guru
I played till I was 58, I never came across a team that was not predominantly working class.
It's history innit, we all know that teams in both codes are made of predominantly working class people, but can have a mix of backgrounds in them, however pre 1895 the powers that be felt that both Rugby & Soccer, were the preserve of the landed gentry, who once the working man started playing couldn't cope with their basic fitness and strength, so the son of Lord whoever couldn't match the local farmers son for example who was used to wrestling with livestock, or the collier used to hard graft, so by not paying them for missing Saturday's pay was a way to prevent them playing, which is why the Northern Union was set up, which became Rugby League, the RFU have a long history of doing the dirty on RL, even as recently as the 70's, these things don't become quickly forgotten.
And I did enjoy playing at school, and have long been a supporter of Leeds Rhinos, but I was too rubbish at it to consider playing for a local side.

DRM

Guru
Leeds have had some terrible luck of late on and off the pitch. I welled up at Rob Burrow tribute by Kev Sinfield and such a sad sight seeing him have to turn away from Rob to avoid crying again after his amazing 7 in 7 days. Had some talented players have Leeds and miss the Morley days
Yes it's been quite the curates egg over the last few seasons, hopefully this coming season will be better, perhaps there is something in the old wives tale about a gypsies curse on Headingley!

Well done for still playing at 58. I assume you are ex pro ? Because unless you are elite level of the past or just phenomenal then I can’t see a place on the team sheet been given to a 58 year old against the current crop of young amateur players. Or was it Veteran games ? Regarding the typical comment - I played league from the age of 7 to 34, I played at the highest amateur level and gained County honours amongst others. I was coached, at the time, by Super League Players in their prime at St Helens. I have the upmost respect for anyone who sets foot on a field. Union in my day was played in Universities and Bradford Grammar type schools. League was working class. Now not at all, but then it was.

Yes it's been quite the curates egg over the last few seasons, hopefully this coming season will be better, perhaps there is something in the old wives tale about a gypsies curse on Headingley!
^_^
I haven’t been to the new Headingley since moving to the wrong side (Lancashire). I was a Bradford lad and fan. As Bradford declined and Leeds excelled under the Peacocks, burrows, McGuire, Sinfield and co era it was a pleasure to watch. I was the same age as Morley so grew up (and old) following his career and still my favourite of all players.
Must admit though I feel the game has lost a lot from a spectators viewpoint and overshadowed by Union. The set up, tv time, international game Structure are so much better than League but then it’s still predominantly played in the M62 corridor, which was the working class pit mining areas, but as fella above says ‘ not working class’

Edit: Do you remember the little hooker for Leeds Mick Shaw ? When he returned to Siddal I played against him and when he ran at the line, each and everytime a step and burst of acceleration before breaking through or offloading for a try. The speed of thought, hands and strength where on another level to amateurs. 60 points past us that day and most from him. To this day his pace astounded me. Another sad loss.

Last edited:
Well done for still playing at 58. I assume you are ex pro ? Because unless you are elite level of the past or just phenomenal then I can’t see a place on the team sheet been given to a 58 year old against the current crop of young amateur players. Or was it Veteran games ? Regarding the typical comment - I played league from the age of 7 to 34, I played at the highest amateur level and gained County honours amongst others. I was coached, at the time, by Super League Players in their prime at St Helens. I have the upmost respect for anyone who sets foot on a field. Union in my day was played in Universities and Bradford Grammer type schools. League was working class. Now not at all, but then it was.
Why would you assume I was ex pro. Rugby Union did not turn professional till 1995.
You have a lack of knowledge of the lower leagues of rugby Union which I played in. The last team I played for was Skegness 2nds. Because they didn't have a third team. I have never played for a vets team. When I get a new knee I will consider playing again. At the very least on tours.

Why would you assume I was ex pro. Rugby Union did not turn professional till 1995.
You have a lack of knowledge of the lower leagues of rugby Union which I played in. The last team I played for was Skegness 2nds. Because they didn't have a third team. I have never played for a vets team. When I get a new knee I will consider playing again. At the very least on tours.
Hmmm, post edited by a Mod so guessing it was not the nicest of responses. I ask if you where ex pro for the reasons I gave which is that no decent team would have a need to pick someone nearing 60 to play especially if they expected to compete at a very good level against very good opposition. I said that rather than say you must be competing in poor leagues. I have a good knowledge of the leagues when I played as we shared a ground with a Union team. At that time and era the differences where stark from the cars they drove to the jobs they had and the money the club had compared to our rusty old fiestas, builders, joiners for jobs or unemployed. Did they play League at Oxford or Cambridge ? Same as they didn’t have an annual boat race in Hanson Upper school, Bradford

Anyway this thread is about the injuries in the sport and the later life problems it may cause. It’s not a Microscope analysis of my opinion of League Vs Union of many years gone by. Start another thread if you wish and then people can carry on with this if they wish.

Last edited:
It's hard to believe there are so many punch-ups on a Rugby pitch. The players are such a peaceful bunch in normal life!

Hmmm, post edited by a Mod so guessing it was not the nicest of responses. I ask if you where ex pro for the reasons I gave which is that no decent team would have a need to pick someone nearing 60 to play especially if they expected to compete at a very good level against very good opposition. I said that rather than say you must be competing in poor leagues. I have a good knowledge of the leagues when I played as we shared a ground with a Union team. At that time and era the differences where stark from the cars they drove to the jobs they had and the money the club had compared to our rusty old fiestas, builders, joiners for jobs or unemployed. Did they play League at Oxford or Cambridge ? Same as they didn’t have an annual boat race in Hanson Upper school, Bradford

Anyway this thread is about the injuries in the sport and the later life problems it may cause. It’s not a Microscope analysis of my opinion of League Vs Union of many years gone by. Start another thread if you wish and then people can carry on with this if they wish.
Not edited. You quoted me. Your knowledge of Union is based on one club....so no knowledge. Its also based on what cars people drove. No doubt you only saw the expensive ones and ignored the cheap one. You saw what you wanted to see.
"Did they play League at Oxford or Cambridge" try not bring envy into it.

Last edited:
Not edited. You quoted me. Your knowledge of Union is based on one club....so no knowledge. Its also based on what cars people drove. No doubt you only saw the expensive ones and ignored the cheap one. You saw what you wanted to see.
Sorry you are wrong again. My knowledge is based on far more, not one club. Nor cars, just a comment. Stick to the thread title. And try not to assume you know my knowledge base. Or better still hit the ignore button. It works well for many on here :okay:No envy here. I hated school and education for many reasons and have no desire to be of University stock.

I have fallen into arguments and debates on here and they are pointless and just continue before becoming personal. Up thread I have complimented the Union game and even said how much better a spectacle and professional it is now. Your view of the games roots is your view and mine is mine but it detracts not from two great sports. Move on and drop this silly argument

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
I think you'll find that at elite level in the amateur days of RU, they didn't get paid, but a directorship somewhere would be a nice little earner, as opposed to RL's winning & losing pay scale pre super league.
And Tripster is right re Schools Rugby, September 1977, first PE lesson it was Rugby, when the kids asked to play RL rules we were told "this is an ex grammar school, we don't play that here", the PE teacher threw the ball at us and told us to to "sort yourselves out if your playing that!" and promptly went back inside, no showing how to tackle, form a scrum, anything shocking attitude, yet the week after the other, younger PE teacher was horrified when he found out what had gone on, and showed us what to do properly every week, he played RU for the local club, yet had the sense to be glad that we were outside, exercising , and couldn't careless what version of the game was being played with non of the stupid old prejudices from way back when.

DRM

Guru
^_^
I haven’t been to the new Headingley since moving to the wrong side (Lancashire). I was a Bradford lad and fan. As Bradford declined and Leeds excelled under the Peacocks, burrows, McGuire, Sinfield and co era it was a pleasure to watch. I was the same age as Morley so grew up (and old) following his career and still my favourite of all players.
Must admit though I feel the game has lost a lot from a spectators viewpoint and overshadowed by Union. The set up, tv time, international game Structure are so much better than League but then it’s still predominantly played in the M62 corridor, which was the working class pit mining areas, but as fella above says ‘ not working class’

Edit: Do you remember the little hooker for Leeds Mick Shaw ? When he returned to Siddal I played against him and when he ran at the line, each and everytime a step and burst of acceleration before breaking through or offloading for a try. The speed of thought, hands and strength where on another level to amateurs. 60 points past us that day and most from him. To this day his pace astounded me. Another sad loss.
Yes I remember Mick, another example of why it's right to speak up if you aren't happy with life, indeed a sad loss.

Top Bottom