A blow for Rugby Union....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
:wacko: You googled punch drunk dementia.....very leading
I gave you an explanation of where the term Punch Drunk originates from seen as you think the term punch drunk is relative to Rugby Players... but then again you have a very stereotypical view of a rugby player it seems from your last few posts. Do you have a stereotypical view of Northern folk to ? Unable to read, write, typical racist and Brexit voter ?
Just so you don’t have to climb out of your armchair and zip up your pants to google, League is a traditionally working class Northern sport confined to the M62 corridor mostly. Whereas Union is the Rugger boys, from University and the upper echelons of society.

Again, take the 10 count and stay down
p.s. I realise I might not have made this clear; I don't find this sort of thing very persuasive. Have you found it successful in other discussions?
I'm increasingly coming back to my first response to you:

Tripster said:
Is that not the point of a discussion ? You may find you enlighten some and that you are too enlightened by others

Ideally - yes! But I've wasted enough of my life on internet discussion; much of it could have been avoided if I'd learned some lessons earlier :P

p.s. I realise I might not have made this clear; I don't find this sort of thing very persuasive. Have you found it successful in other discussions?
I'm increasingly coming back to my first response to you:
But you are failing to or are too arrogant to be enlightened by others and would rather play devils advocate
Enjoy the armchair............

As a player (soft or otherwise!), where would you say most of the serious impacts come from? On telly we only notice the nasty clash-of-heads stuff i.e. where a player ends up on the floor or with a cut, resulting in slo-mo replays.
Are these the main impact?
Are they being reduced by the stricter laws on tackles-above-the-shoulders?
Is the scrum significant?
When I was playing, mostly as tight-head prop, and up to 1995, scrums, for the two front rows, was almost always a clash of heads when engaging with the opposition. Fists occasionally would arrive from the opposing 2nd row.
In open play, high tackles were generally rare, rucks weren’t pleasant if you were on the ground with 10 bodies on top of you and a player from the other team was aiming a punch or kick at you - it did happen quite a lot.
The fitness, size, speed and power of today’s professional players makes the game a lot more potentially damaging, and there seems to be far more clashing of heads than before.

Serious/fatal injuries (neck, head and back) mainly occured when scrums collapsed. Up to a few years ago the referer directed the forming of the scrum with the tiresome ‘crouch, touch, pause, engage', 'crouch and hold, engage’ mantra. Today it’s a ‘simple’ ‘crouch, bind, set.’

At a scrum today, the scrum half feeds the ball (à la rugby league) almost directly to his 2nd row, by-passing his hooker’s foot completely, making it, IMO, a non contest and a waste of time and effort.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
But again he freely admits players cheated the tests and made false claims to doctors in order to play so they must accept some responsibility. Again it comes back to the desire to play and mentality of a pro. Look at the Grand Final in RL the other week. Two big head collisions McCarthy Scarsbrook was out cold and been held up by team mates but somehow passed his head assessment. No way was he missing a Grand Final. James Graham looked a nothing knock but he failed his. I’m sure both know the dangers and risks in later life but they see the world differently. To come back years later and blame the club etc is not on really
And this is probably one area where player and club are going to have to have a big change of attitude....

Objective data they will use to improve training collisions and reduce the 20% of occurrences but it cannot tell immediately if an impact has resulted in some form of damage or concussion. That leaves someone on the touch lines trying to interpret a load of data in a split second and heat of a game. It’s useful after the event to analyse and maybe treat players who potentially have had a hit. For example a mandatory rest period and no game or training activity but it’s still not going to stop collisions. That can only be done by radically overhauling the game and you are left with touch/tag rugby that under 5’s play.

DRM

Guru
Perhaps a step forward would be to have a free interchange when a player comes off for a head injury assessment, that would remove the pressure to either refuse to go off, or demand to go back on to the pitch, when the player really shouldn’t be back on.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Perhaps a step forward would be to have a free interchange when a player comes off for a head injury assessment, that would remove the pressure to either refuse to go off, or demand to go back on to the pitch, when the player really shouldn’t be back on.

They already do.

What's a free interchange? is that the same as a replacement? You can have a replacement for a HIA currently.

Edit: @Chromatic beat me to it.

Last edited:

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I take it that’s in RU, in RL I’m sure it’s 12 from 4 named substitutes

Yes, union. We don't have interchanges like as in league but a player with a head injury that goes off for assessment will be replaced, either temporarily for the duration of the assessment, which if he passes he can come back on and the replacement goes off, or permanently if he fails .

I think RL is 12 interchanges and HIA doesn’t count towards them. Blood bins not sure, it used to be they did not count unless the player did not return to replace the blood bin substitute but not sure now. I don’t follow it as much

Top Bottom