A blow for Rugby Union....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Today, the size, coupled with speed and strength, added to the fact that modern tactics with the (literally) giants of the game holding on to the ball longer, has made the game almost an accident waiting to happen at any moment.

I’m not sure what can be done to prevent these kind of injuries and the repercussions later on in life. Maybe tackling ONLY between the knees and ribs, and only ONE tackler per ball carrier. These laws would need to be very strictly enforced with RED cards/suspensions being issued to prevent/curtail dangerous play.
As a player (soft or otherwise!), where would you say most of the serious impacts come from? On telly we only notice the nasty clash-of-heads stuff i.e. where a player ends up on the floor or with a cut, resulting in slo-mo replays.
Are these the main impact?
Are they being reduced by the stricter laws on tackles-above-the-shoulders?
Is the scrum significant?

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Further to protecting kids in contact sport, I have a question.
My son is 10, he does martial arts. He also does Krav Maga. Krav is not a martial art it’s a form of Israel military self defence.
Parts of it are changed, altered as the response to an attack is aggressive and designed to injure, so you can make an escape rather than become involved in a fight. He can defend against knife attacks, get out of head locks, block and counter to the throat or escape from the grip of someone holding his coat etc. During sessions they will spar with only a gumshield and gloves. No head guards. It’s controlled aggression but even so it results in a bloody nose or fat lip, often one will be in tears. What’s the reason ? Because in real life, in the street or playground they don’t have soft hats on and need to experience been hit in the face so ultimately they can stay focused and respond if ever the time comes. They are taking knocks to the head. I allow this, I see the reason, my son enjoys the sparring most and he is a gentle, soft natured child. Does this make me irresponsible or a bad parent who risks my sons future health ???
Maybe. Only time will tell.

Couple of points.
I'm not sure anyone here is advocating banning anything.
Professional RU has just turned a corner from possibly/slightly risky to a more certain or provable level of risk - that's a step-change that requires reconsideration.

The school game is following the professional game. My bosses 3 sons all play at their private school to a high standard, they have played since dots. They have definitely noticed injuries and the severity of those injuries increasing. The boys themselves are really strapping , fast powerful lads, with a lot of muscle-mass and power in still-developing bodies. They play a lot of games, not just during the winter 'Season' but Summer tours too. Early damage won't recover. Last night a relative young player was interviewed with dementia already. This could be the tip of a larger iceberg.

The Jackie Stewart documentary was the one I was referring to. It's a harrowing watch. F1 is taking its responsibilities seriously and maybe Rugby has reached Stewart's turning point.

I love watching Rugby, and will watch both codes, but sometimes the sheer physicality makes me wince....now it seems rightfully.
Twenty years ago the only thing in Rugby Union that took a blow was the ball as it was kicked from end to end for the millionth time... much better game now though

Reactions: DRM
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Elaborate ?
Really? Only time will tell whether your son's participation in his Martial Art has had any deleterious effects. Based on past history, probably not, but that was also true of Rugby.

What’s the reason ? Because in real life, in the street or playground they don’t have soft hats on and need to experience been hit in the face so ultimately they can stay focused and respond if ever the time comes. They are taking knocks to the head. I allow this, I see the reason, my son enjoys the sparring most and he is a gentle, soft natured child. Does this make me irresponsible or a bad parent who risks my sons future health ???
Tricky. Could be either?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
CTE is an issue in many sports, nothing new. American football and boxing are the most public. Also MTB - downhill. Recent case of a top class rider taking his own life - depression brought on by many head injuries.

What do we do, ban the lot ?

Really? Only time will tell whether your son's participation in his Martial Art has had any deleterious effects. Based on past history, probably not, but that was also true of Rugby.
Sorry, I thought you was going to quote some facts. Based on past history of even rugby I would say it’s not a huge risk. Has anyone calculated the number of retired contact sport professional & amateur athletes and the percentage with dementia and compared to those who played no contact sport, had no obvious head trauma and still suffered from a dementia illness ?
Making changes to help improve the sport like the reduction in attacks to the head via high tackles is a good thing but rugby is a contact sport and should remain so. I am sure you can google the parties opposed to the Isle Of Man TT and their thoughts of spectators who watch from the sides. Similar to yourself enjoying Rugby and watching but then concern for the injuries

Top Bottom