A blow for Rugby Union....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
CTE is an issue in many sports, nothing new. American football and boxing are the most public. Also MTB - downhill. Recent case of a top class rider taking his own life - depression brought on by many head injuries.

What do we do, ban the lot ?
Nobody is advocating banning anything!!!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've smacked my head enough times (proper concussion) to know it's not pleasant and takes many weeks/months to recover. That's was when I was younger - full on hospital stays.

Without getting into a debate, at least twice on the bike in more recent years have I landed on my head, but I had a lid on, and only had a slightly fuzzy head for a few weeks, rather than full on concussion.

It's not good constantly getting your head hit - heading a football hurts.

Yes.

(Read the link at the start of the thread!)
Unless I missed something I cannot see a detailed investigation into all previous, retired pro & amateur athletes against non contact sport dementia sufferers. Maybe need to direct me to that. Pro is more Policed but amateur is very much not in days gone by. Statistics from that area would be interesting.
Dementia is increasing for many reasons and statistically how many players from say a pro rugby team are likely to get dementia compared to a group of netball players where little contact to head ? I bet it’s not that much different because other issues such as diabetes, living longer are also contributing factors to dementia. Diabetes is on the rise and sport plays a part in reducing that.
My dad is late stage dementia. Never played contact sport, only cycled. Never a blow to his head and only broke a bone in his hand years ago. His dementia is attributed to his diabetes, type 2, that he has had since his. 50’s.

Last edited:
Dementia is increasing for many reasons and statistically how many players from say a pro rugby team are likely to get dementia compared to a group of netball players where little contact to head ? I bet it’s not that much different because other issues such as diabetes, living longer are also contributing factors to dementia
The medical stats people take account of other known factors. As you say, living longer is a big factor; so you'd accept studies of sports-people under 60 (compared to others the same age) as strong evidence?

And I think you need to define "not that much different" before we dig into the actual numbers!

The medical stats people take account of other known factors. As you say, living longer is a big factor; so you'd accept studies of sports-people under 60 (compared to others the same age) as strong evidence?

And I think you need to define "not that much different" before we dig into the actual numbers!
Your reply seems like you are on the defensive looking for an argument. I am not. As I have no medical evidence I merely gave my opinion and should you or anyone have anything to support or counter then I would be very interested and open to reading it. As I genuinely played for many years, rather than some who have commented who merely watched, I know the reason these people walk on a field or sling a leg over a bike despite high risk.

tom73

Guru
Funny this came up on our desk at home is over 100 paper on the whole subject. Mrs 73 has spent the last few years going her masters on it.
So it's been a hot topic at home. What I do know is It's complex and a wide range of view are held on just what is going on and to what level the risks are.
It all comes down to the risk and what was know at the time even basic head injury management has changed over the last few years. As more is known about head injury and it's risks. For years risk was known but the management of head injury was not all it needed to be. It mostly came down to management at the time not on limiting the risk over time.
CTE has been known about but the extent of the possible link to a much wider field of sport or day to day injury has not been fully understood. Or to what extent it's a problem. A lot has gone it this in the last fews years. Many sports are still not up to speed on this or have even the basics right.

Last edited:
If you gave the facts to all players today and asked them if they wished to continue or retire then pretty sure nearly all would happily walk back on a field and continue. Ultimately the choice is theirs.

As I have no medical evidence I merely gave my opinion and should you or anyone have anything to support or counter then I would be very interested and open to reading it. As I genuinely played for many years, rather than some who have commented who merely watched, I know the reason these people walk on a field or sling a leg over a bike despite high risk.
So your opinion is based on:
- your attitude to the risks,
- your knowledge of the attitudes of others
- your single example of playing without suffering damage
- a single example of a dementia sufferer with no contact sport history.

In MY OPINION that is very weak evidence. IMO head injuries are very likely to lead to brain damage.(have you looked into boxing?)
Research quoted at https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/blog/football-heading-dementia-risk is very strongly supportive of this.

(p.s. it's quite funny to make this accusation:
you are on the defensive looking for an argument.
Your posts are ripe with argumentative rhetoric! Just my opinion, of course :smile: )

Last edited:

byegad

Legendary Member
I can't see the problem when someone is injured whilst participate willingly in a dangerous sport.
I road raced motorcycles up to international level for the best part of 20 years. You don't ever start a TT race without the knowledge that a simple error, or mechanical failure, could kill you (or worse), yet you still go down Bray Hill at 140mph + when the flag drops.
I would suggest that the majority of people, who rail against dangerous sports, have no capacity to understand the mindset of those who partake of them.
I agree, to a point. But racing motorcyclists wear leathers or better, body armour and very good helmets. There's a difference between taking a risk, and not mitigating it to the best of your/technology's ability and doing the TT course flat out and naked.

So your opinion is based on:
- your attitude to the risks, every contact sport player does this
- your knowledge of the attitudes of others no
- your single example of playing without suffering damage again, no. I have many past and present friends and relatives still in the sport who at present none suffer
- a single example of a dementia sufferer with no contact sport history. No, involved in a dementia society with my father and have examples from sufferers their too.

In MY OPINION that is very weak evidence. IMO head injuries are very likely to lead to brain damage.(have you looked into boxing?) boxing is continued, repetitive strikes and blows unlike rugby
Research quoted at https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/blog/football-heading-dementia-risk is very strongly supportive of this. Agree with this and the risk

(p.s. it's quite funny to make this accusation:

Your posts are ripe with argumentative rhetoric! Just my opinion, of course :smile: )
I made the quote regarding you seeming argumentative because I am not challenging the information or saying any of it is incorrect. I believe we all take a risk that’s acceptable to us and sure Rugby players are aware of risks as they can educate themselves but still choose to play. I disagree with taking RFU or the like to court for later life illnesses.
Improve the game, make adjustments but ultimately its a players choice.
If this is argumentative Rhetoric then I best leave it there and move on.
Rhetoric:laugh: Im from Bradford, no persuasive speek from an uneducated fool like me. I am not part of the Elitist. Remember I played League, not Union

Last edited:
Rhetoric:laugh: Im from Bradford, no persuasive speek from an uneducated fool like me. I am not part of the Elitist. Remember I played League, not Union
In that case sir, I applaud your use of rhetorical question, despite your poor northern education preventing you from knowing it!

Meanwhile:
I believe we all take a risk that’s acceptable to us and sure Rugby players are aware of risks as they can educate themselves but still choose to play. I disagree with taking RFU or the like to court for later life illnesses.
Improve the game, make adjustments but ultimately its a players choice.
I mostly agree with that; the problem is with long-term effects. Athletes very often are not aware of these, and research DOES progress - you cannot say that the first international rugby players knew they were risking dementia in their 40s.
It's even worse with young athletes starting out.

Top Bottom