A bummer for bacon fans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Patrick Stevens said:
The counterbalance was some expert saying that very occasionally eating small amounts of red meat wouldn't necessarily kill you.

How very gracious of him! :blush:

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've had enough of scientific advice. Eventually they'll have us all on a diet of soya milk and carrots, and then they'll find carrots give you cancer...

I'm sure I've heard that one cause of some cancers is living long enough to get them. Shorter life expectancies in the past meant we often didn't live long enough for the body to start breaking down in that way. What are you gonna do? I say, enjoy what you like, in moderation, and be sensible. What's the point of a long life with no bacon or beer?

What about smoked bacon? That must be a double whammy!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Patrick Stevens said:
The counterbalance was some expert saying that very occasionally eating small amounts of red meat wouldn't necessarily kill you.

I dunno, the over excitement of realising it's "half an ounce of steak Sunday" might do for you...

I think the amount is 500g a week. That's actually quite a bit.

Given that most of the meat produced in the UK is intensively reared, and pumped up with imported soya or (worse still) fishmeal trawled off the coast of South America, then a little more concentration on quality rather than quantity would do us the world of good. McDonalds isn't just about salt, bad smells and litter - it's also about soya cultivation displacing forest or grains that are eaten by people (and which, lately, have been in short supply).

I do accept that this point of view has a class dimension. I'm not entirely happy about it, but, looking at the lardy little horrors hanging out in McDonalds or Burger King inclines you to the view that meat consumption isn't taken as a whole, a 'good thing'.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I think there's an important issue in the way the press reports these things. Each study (and I think there were about 3 I remember from last week alone) is simply a piece of research which has found a correlation between one behaviour and a potential outcome of that behaviour. The press/radio/TV etc report them as fact, and it's no wonder therefore that Johnny Public doesn't know what's good for him. Moderation is the word.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
No, eat what you like but don't overdo anything in particular...
and press should report studies as studies which found a correlation, not as (Monday) "Meat is good for you!"
(Tuesday) "Meat is bad for you!"
(Wednesday) "Meat gives you a hairy chest!"
(Thursday) "Meat makes you go bald!"
etc etc

Tetedelacourse

Fnaar said:
and press should report studies as studies which found a correlation, not as (Monday) "Meat is good for you!"
etc etc

Sorry it was a poor attempt at research-based humour.

I say eat excess amounts of everything, but in moderation.

walker

Fnaar said:
etc etc

I stopped reading means Fitness for this exact rubbish. One month It said eat tomatoes as they are good for you fighting cancer etc. Next month it said don't eat tomatoes as their bad for you and make you ill.

Rubbish.

Tetedelacourse

Fnaar said:
:blush::biggrin:That's never a good idea! :biggrin::biggrin:

Not even in moderation?

What about:

1. I went to university to study archaeology but couldn't find any digs.
2. I went to university to carve out a career in history but soon realised there's no future in it.
3. Someone suggested I go to university to study computer science, but I failed to see the logic in it.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Tetedelacourse said:
Not even in moderation?

What about:

1. I went to university to study archaeology but couldn't find any digs.
2. I went to university to carve out a career in history but soon realised there's no future in it.
3. Someone suggested I go to university to study computer science, but I failed to see the logic in it.
OK, you win! :blush:

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
KitsuneAndy said:
But me eating a huge lump of bacon doesn't increase the chance of the person sitting next to me getting cancer does it? Unless I force feed them it and I'm not likely to give my bacon away :blush:
It does when I'm passive eating your bacon sarnie fumes, and the fumes from the vinegar on ya chips is killing the head on my pint

Top Bottom