A Car Hit Me - How can I screw him?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got hit by a car turning left in front of me without indicating. I've got severe brusing to my upper arm and knee and damage ro my rear wheel. The police attended the incident and took all details.

How do I go about getting compensation for damage to the bike and myself?

Go to a solicitor? Do I need to go to the doctor? I was seen to by a paramedic at the time.

Thanks

Arch

Married to Night Train
I believe the advice is generally to get in touch with the CTC who can put you onto a suitable solicitor.. Not sure if you have to be a member for that though. Someone will be along soon with the details of a good firm I expect...

Suspect it wouldn't hurt (oh, sorry, I expect it did!) to go to a GP for a report on injuries. Taking photos of bruises etc is also recommended I gather...

Hope you recover quickly, and get what you want... And that the numpty learns from it all...

spen666

Legendary Member
Disgruntled Goat said:
Got hit by a car turning left in front of me without indicating. ...

If the accident happened as you say here, then you MAY have a problem on liability.

IF car was in front of you, then you MAY be the party at fault.

Think carefully how you explain the circumstances to someone.

Contact a solicitor- you do not need to be in the CTC to get a no win no fee lawyer. Most PI lawyers will operate such a scheme

OP
OP
Disgruntled Goat

Disgruntled Goat

My front wheel was roughly in line with his back bumper when he decided to swing rapidly left (into my path) without indicating. I had nowhere to go other than into him. I braked so hard my rear wheel wore down to the webbing.

bonj2

The title of this thread doesn't project a particularly positive image of cycling to any car drivers/occasional/beginner cyclists that might be browsing the forum.

bonj said:
The title of this thread doesn't project a particularly positive image of cycling to any car drivers/occasional/beginner cyclists that might be browsing the forum.

Well maybe car drivers shouldn't be driving into cyclists, as this is hardly a positive image of driving. Of course you'll probably argue that he deserved to be hit as he wasn't paying attention!!

OP
OP
Disgruntled Goat

Disgruntled Goat

bonj said:

Have you ever been hit by a car Bonj?

What I failed to mention was that in addition to causing this accident, the driver refused to give his details and I was verbally abused and threatened by his four passengers until the police arrived.

I make no apologies for my language (if that's what you have a problem with). As for being hit by a car, well that's what happened and I am merely seeking compensation for my injuries and damage to the bike and not making a spurious claim for damages against the driver unlike what happened to me when I was involved in a car accident whilst out driving.

bonj2

Eat MY Dust said:
Well maybe car drivers shouldn't be driving into cyclists, as this is hardly a positive image of driving. Of course you'll probably argue that he deserved to be hit as he wasn't paying attention!!

No, but the car driver probably didn't hit him deliberately, so shouldn't be disproportionately punished, as it sounds like the OP wants. I thought it was a joke thread at first I must admit, but when I found out it was real I was dismayed - just at the fact that he doesn't appear to appreciate that the end result should be to adequately recompense yourself, not to 'screw him'.

Write everything down, NOW before you forget bits.
Don't write a subjective account, just include factual details, measurements, location, any conversation you had with the driver etc. You will need as clear an account as possible to help your solicitor.
I always carry a note-pad around with me, just in case.
Good luck, but you're not trying to screw the driver, just getting fair recompense if the circumstances merit it.

bonj2

Disgruntled Goat said:
Have you ever been hit by a car Bonj?

What I failed to mention was that in addition to causing this accident, the driver refused to give his details and I was verbally abused and threatened by his four passengers until the police arrived.
Well, that's ok then. I can understand wanting to screw him if that's the case. But the thread title doesn't convey this information, so I still don't condone creating such an image of cyclists' mentality to people who aren't even going to bother to read the thread.

Disgruntled Goat said:
I make no apologies for my language (if that's what you have a problem with). As for being hit by a car, well that's what happened and I am merely seeking compensation for my injuries and damage to the bike and not making a spurious claim for damages against the driver unlike what happened to me when I was involved in a car accident whilst out driving.
But you make it sound like punishing the driver is your main objective...

Don't get me wrong - I'm not belittling your accident - and I hope it doesn't affect you permanently in any way and that you and your bike are on the mend and back out in force as soon as possible. Chill.

You will probably find that you have little choice in the matter as your credit card/household insurance says that they will deal with the claim on your behalf. This merely consists of their selling your claim for £600 to a bulk litigation firm who will settle for the first palty offer made by the motorist's insurer in order to get the fixed costs of £1,200 to pay the £600 bung to the introducer.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
if more cyclists were able to take offending motorists 'to the cleaners' it would make drivers more careful around cyclists if they thought that it would cost them a lot of money (or at least increased insurance premiums).

Krypton

A Car Hit Me - How can I screw him?

I wondered if you were a female cyclist wanting a hot date with a manic driver .... anyway ... sorry to make light of your accident, and I hope everything turns out well and that you and bike mend okay :thumbsup:

Arch

Married to Night Train
And ignore bonj, I think he's arguing for the sake of it. I don't see how your thread title differs much from a lot of the threads on the old C+ commuting section, it was honest and factual, and has garnered you helpful advice. If people fail to read the thread, and form opinions on the title alone, that's their look out.

As for punishment/recompense: why shouldn't you 'punish' the driver for acting like a tosspot and driving like a grain dead jellyfish? Good luck...

Top Bottom