"A car's manufacture causes the same environmental impact as its lifetime use"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
...was suggested in a letter in the paper. Is it true?

I've often wondered about the relative environmental impact of keeping a car on the road v scrapping it in favour of a new 'green' one - hybrid or whatever - and have blithely assumed that keeping the old one running was, environmentally speaking, the better option. This quote would seem to suggest I've been right. Does anyone out there have a definitive answer? (Not that I'm in a position to lash out on a new Prius...I'm just curious.)

I read, though it was many years ago, that 80% was production and 20% usage. I dare say production is now more efficient.

It was when the first Prius style cars where coming out and people were rushing to sell their car and buy a new 'environmentally friendly' one.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The environmental impact of certain "green cars" during production is hidden for very good reason.

On a personal level, the cost of a hybrid or electric car over say a similar petrol, I wouldn't save the difference in fuel over many years.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The study (Weiss et al, 2010) reveals that fully 75 percent of a car's lifetime carbon emissions stem from the fuel it burns, not its production. A further 19 percent of that is production and transportation of the fuel, leaving just six percent for the car's manufacture.

These figures vary--a more recent Volkswagen study suggests that with vehicle efficiency rising steadily, 68 percent of the car's lifetime emissions came from driving it, while the manufacturing process accounts for a higher 22 percent.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news...car-is-greener-than-driving-an-old-one-really

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
@User482 knows shoot like this and why don't you post in SC&P?
SC&P is dead. Maybe you mean Politics and Current Affairs?

Here's the claim in the Grauniad back in 2010: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/green-living-blog/2010/sep/23/carbon-footprint-new-car - so another aspect of the question is whether the answer is still the same.

https://www.smmt.co.uk/industry-topics/environment/ suggests reductions of various manufacturing things of 19 to 35% as well as usage reductions of 33% (and it looks like 1999 is 15 years ago so the page doesn't get updated that often!) so I suspect the answer hasn't changed. That seems mildly surprising to me because I thought industry in general had cleaned up faster than transport usage - but car-making is seen as a prestigious thing and manufacturers get all sorts of sweetheart deals from governments, as we've seen from the pathetic punishments for test-fiddling, so it's plausible they're not cleaning up quickly.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Has anyone seen similar studies for bicycles? I'd be interested to see what the impact of making vs using a bicycle is.
What about walking and shoes?

Top Bottom