"A car's manufacture causes the same environmental impact as its lifetime use"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fark the environment. I can't be fagged discussing trivial items with you nobbers, I've got a gallon of old sump oil to dump in the canal plus a couple of old tyres and a fridge to chuck out. See you laters.
Don't forget the shopping trolley.

classic33

Leg End Member
The fact that it takes more than 30,000 litres water to make just one Roubaix fork. Specialize uses enough water making Roubaix frames to supply the water needed by 477,000 people pe year. “These numbers are staggering”, say the authors.

Making a a kilogram of a carbon frame uses 45% more water than an aluminium frame

https://cyclingandscience.com/2014/04/30/how-green-is-your-bike-ask-specialized/

Drago

Legendary Member
And aluminium. There are very few processes on the planet as damaging and energy intensive as the extraction, refining and eventual forming of aluminium stock. Its a massively destructive way for a manufacturer to save a few grams on CO2 emissions, or make a slightly lighter bicycle.

Drago

Legendary Member
Water ultimately isn't wasted. Unless its shot out into space it remains in the eco system and circulates in perpetuity, as per the water cycle we all learned at school.

The only issue may be inappropriate placement, such as bunging a water intensive production process into a factory in the middle of the Sahara. In Western Europe, the northern half of US, much of south America, huge swathes of Asia, the stuff falls out the sky faster than man can often safely manage its flow.

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 4918507, member: 9609"]this argument about water use is just daft - if the production is in a place where there is an over abundance of water (such as scotland) then there is no waste and drought blighted communities in africa are not being deprived.[/QUOTE]
Mainly China, according to the manufacturer. Who had the report done.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Brilliant. Wooden bikes next!

Well there are Bamboo Bikes, O.K. I know that technically Bamboo is a grass, but it's close!

As for the environmental impact of making cars, it is an interesting one. My own car is 19 years old and has over 346,000km's on it. I refuse to scrap it just because the engine might kick out a few more fumes than more modern ones. I rarely drive in town any way, it's mostly long distance and out of town driving. I'm with the OP in believing the environmental damage of me scrapping it and having a new one built, far outweighs the damage it will cause in increased fumes.

This current drive towards banning Diesels and going electric really gets my goat as well. This article for example highlights the social, as well environmental damage of our more modern addiction to Lithium batteries and their intend use in Electric cars.

Top Bottom