A cheaper option? (Cx/Touring bike)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nirurin

Regular
Hey again guys, I've been narrowing down the things I wanted from a new bike, but I'm finding that the setup I would like doesn't actually exist within my budget lol.

What I'm looking for:

- Drop bar road bike

- able to fit a minimum of a 28c tyre (I'd prefer a 32c) *with mudguards fitted* (important)

- prefer disk brakes, but isn't a deal breaker.

Prefer a certain amount of a relaxed geometry, though there is flexibility on that as I can change stems etc.

I thought this would be a fairly simple thing to look for, but as it turns out I've struggled. I can find flat bar bikes with the right setups, or drop bar bikes with skinny wheels and disks, but there's always a compromise.

The one bike I've found is:
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/r ... -bike-2014

Which due to a work discount and a membership discount I can get for £500. I was just wondering if there were any other options out there I am Missing?

I've looked into the tribans and the felts, but they can only fit skinny tyres. I had a response from Merlin, and its the same story with the new bike the released.

I've been advised already about Audax and Touring bikes, but theones I have looked at are all more expensive. The ribble 7005 starts at £550 for example, but thats without pedals or delivery. Its actually over £600 for a complete bike.

If anyone has any suggestions let me know
icon_smile.gif
I have considered getting a flat bar and using bar ends, and I have a couple bikes I'm thinking at for that, but thought I'd pursue this option first to see if I'm missing anything.

For those that have helped me in the past, I've started this as a new thread as the last one seemed to confuse people somehow. Hopefully this makes the things I'm looking for a lot clearer :smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
What use to which the bike is put requires such wide tyres?

OP
OP
nirurin

nirurin

Regular
My local riding locations, and expected to be used through the winter. Rough country road edges and bike trails with sections of grass and stoney paths. Theres no deep mud and no rocky climbs, but its a bit more than I would want to subject a skinny 23c tyre to. I've been recommended that a 32, or at a pinch a 28, are good tyres for winter use, and minor "off roading".

The CX Comp comes with bigger tyres (37c I believe) but the only bikes I've found with 28/32 had flat bars. Unless I go up to about £800+, then theres a bunch of bikes with this setup. I guess theres a limited market for them in the budget end of things.

I'd probably keep the 37's until next summer, and then change them for something a little slimmer. This is the current thinking anyway.

OP
OP
nirurin

nirurin

Regular
How about a Ridgeback Tour? http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/bike/tour#details I have the slightly more expensive Voyage and I love it. I use it to go shopping etc, equally I did a 100 miler on it back in June.
It seems to fit the bill re tyres and mudguards.

Nice looking bike... Its £100 more than the CX comp but it does have the guards fitted already which offsets it slightly. Unfortunatly Evans doesnt seem to stock it anymore, they sell the Voyage instead. I'm just searching to see if I can find anywhere with it in stock. Nice find though, I'll look into it

OP
OP
nirurin

nirurin

Regular

I looked at the Dawes galaxy, but again it was £600, though that site seems to have a big reduction, I assume because its an old model and they are selling the last stock they have. Unfortunatly they dont have it in my size, they only have the extra large size left.

I did also see :
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/claud-butler/regent-2014-touring-bike-ec061590

A brand I havent really looked at before, not sure if they are any good. Again, only cheap because they are selling off the unwanted sizes haha, but there may be stock elsewhere.

OP
OP
nirurin

nirurin

Regular
Including delivery, its still £120 more than the boardman. Looking at the specs it has cheaper components, but has the guards fitted. Not sure its worth it.

If I was paying full price for the CX then I would possibly choose the tour. The CX with guards fitted (bought seperately) would be £530, so thats the limit to what I can spend really.

vickster

Legendary Member
What have EBC or Spacycles got in their clearance sections?

There's a massive long thread somewhere on the Boardman CX, either in this or the review section from memory, happy hunting

OP
OP
nirurin

nirurin

Regular
I'll take a look for that thread, I may have read it already, I've been looking at a lot of owners things for it and it seems to be highly thought of. I dont think I'll regret getting the bike, just making sure I'm not missing a cheaper alternative :smile:

I'll take a look in their clearance section, but it seems I need a very common "average person" size, and so its the first that goes out of stock lol

Globalti

Legendary Member
See if you can find a Specialized Tricross disc going at the right price; I've just done C2C on mine with a rack, pannier and mudguards and have to admit that although it's a slow, heavy beast, it's ideal for that kind of light touring. Really comfortable, stable and predictable, perfect gear ratios, bombproof 32mm tyres, great brakes, it just trundles along steady and unfussed and gets you there in comfort. I have tried it with 23mm tyres but they ruined the ride and the feel of the bike.

Drago

Legendary Member
In for a penny... I'd look at one of the gorgeous Genesis steel framed CX bikes, preferably with hub gears. If you want practicality you may as well do it properly.

Top Bottom