A Chinese meal anyone....................

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I had 'ducks cheeks' in yer actual China, with real Chinese people. And an eel, which only 10 minutes before had been brought to me at the table, to pick out of a tank of eels. Both were lovely, but the eel was too fiddly, what with all those bones and stuff. I also remember having egg custards, mid meal. :wacko:

Oldbloke

Guru
Anyone ever had a "happy family"?

Some variation on a threesome perhaps?

Stuff your face until you explode buffet for 10.80 EUR at my nearest Chinese resto, includes choose your own fish/meat/veg/etc for cheffie to sauce and cook. Huge variety of dishes, plus desserts.

Chips and bread for the tradionalist Frenchies.

Superb value and service, must try to limit myself to single figure platefuls.:hungry:
I stopped with the chinese buffet in town after seeing one of the customers who didn't like mushrooms in her egg foo yung picking them out and flicking them back into the buffet tray. Bleurgh.
Now go to a much quieter one that still offers a lunchtime 'buffet' but its more pick what you want off the menu and it's cooked to order so no trays of food drying under hot lights. Small portions but thats good as you can order as many different dishes as you can eat. Then order some more of them.

May have to do an Alan Partridge with a bigger plate to save all those knowing looks when I go for refills
Here in Brazil there are 'a kilo' restaurants. Take a plate, go to buffet and put on whatever you fancy, be that salad, steak or blancmange.
You then pay for whatever the plate and food weigh.
I've often thought it would be interesting in the UK to open one, with a big LED display showing whatever the plate weighs for each customer. Wonder if the larger ones would be quite so keen on shoveling piles of food on their plates.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Here in Brazil there are 'a kilo' restaurants. Take a plate, go to buffet and put on whatever you fancy, be that salad, steak or blancmange.
You then pay for whatever the plate and food weigh.
I've often thought it would be interesting in the UK to open one, with a big LED display showing whatever the plate weighs for each customer. Wonder if the larger ones would be quite so keen on shoveling piles of food on their plates.

It would be a matter of honour to draw the restauraunt's attention to the weight of my plate. It would be a display of my wealth by proxy. :okay:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
You ate the other one????

No. He takes things too literally at times and when @User14044's butler said to him, "Lend me a hand"... I'll spare you the gory details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I was taken for Peking Duck in Beijing...I have to say I far prefer the English crispy duck variant...but it was at the end of a very long few days and I'd been nearly poisoned by sea urchin sushi in Tokyo a few days before xx(

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
In China you don't eat rice with the meal

After you've eaten all the stuff that was ordered you're asked if you want any "zhu shi" which are "staples". At this point you can ask for rice or noodles. Not before

Whether you have plates or bowls depends on whether you're in the North (bowl) or South (plate).

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
In China you don't eat rice with the meal

After you've eaten all the stuff that was ordered you're asked if you want any "zhu shi" which are "staples". At this point you can ask for rice or noodles. Not before

Whether you have plates or bowls depends on whether you're in the North (bowl) or South (plate).

That's what we were told in Hong Kong [/smug], eat the fancy stuff first and then fill up in the rice and stuff.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My dad(2 years national service in Hong Kong) used to say that you must belch loudly after a Chinese meal to show your appreciation of the food. As kids me and my brother belched loudly in a Chinese restaurant once. We both got clips behind the ear from our mum. Our dad obviously didn't tell her the rule about belching loudly!:wacko:

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

It's the only way to do it. That's how the Chinese eat. Just 1 dish is so boring.

I did not realise until it was pointed out me. My ex colleagues told me that 1dish with rice on the same plate is only done in Western countries for the locals (non-Chinese). I also learnt pick out good Chinese restaurants to see if they are popular with Chinese patrons, another tip that proved useful.

Top Bottom