Got some guidance on how to enjoy a Chinese meal from ex-colleagues years back.
- A typical Chinese meal with families or friends are usually a bowl or plate of steamed rice each (not fried rice) and a couple of dishes - 1 veg and 2 meat dishes. More dishes if there are more people at a sitting. The idea is to enjoy variety.
- Except for the plate of steam rice, the other dishes are placed in the centre and one uses a spoon which is provided with each dish to place a small portion onto one's plate or bowl of steamed rice.
- If its a bowl, its chopsticks, if its a plate its fork and spoon.
- Suggested usual spread for 4 adults
- Steam rice for 4. It might come in a big bowl and everyone takes a turn to fill their plate
- Veg - one of these - Pak Choi, Choy Sum, or Broccoli with garlic or oyster sauce
- Sweet Sour Pork
- Szechuan Chicken ( can be a bit spicy)
- Seafood Tofu hotpot