A Chinese meal anyone....................

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got some guidance on how to enjoy a Chinese meal from ex-colleagues years back.
  • A typical Chinese meal with families or friends are usually a bowl or plate of steamed rice each (not fried rice) and a couple of dishes - 1 veg and 2 meat dishes. More dishes if there are more people at a sitting. The idea is to enjoy variety.
  • Except for the plate of steam rice, the other dishes are placed in the centre and one uses a spoon which is provided with each dish to place a small portion onto one's plate or bowl of steamed rice.
  • If its a bowl, its chopsticks, if its a plate its fork and spoon.
  • Suggested usual spread for 4 adults
    • Steam rice for 4. It might come in a big bowl and everyone takes a turn to fill their plate
    • Veg - one of these - Pak Choi, Choy Sum, or Broccoli with garlic or oyster sauce
    • Sweet Sour Pork
    • Szechuan Chicken ( can be a bit spicy)
    • Seafood Tofu hotpot
Should come to £10 to £12 per person without drinks. You get to try a variety of dishes in true Chinese dining style.

Col5632

Guru
Sounds like a great way of doing it but people know what they like lol

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Only advice I ever got was 'avoid the prawn toast.' She refused to give a reason, which I took as enough of a reason. No prawn toast since and now I'm a veggie too. I quite liked prawn toast though :scratch:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's the only way to do it. That's how the Chinese eat. Just 1 dish is so boring.

Was in China Town Manchester and we spent £80 for two adults two kids including tip and a drink. Meals were £10 to £18 each and rice £3 each

Mrs M

Guru
Friend and I went out for Chinese recently.
Ordered a platter as a starter with seaweed, spring rolls, etc. and other things I would never have ordered, so got a chance to try.
Main course was 3 set dishes so you couldn't choose, again tried something new, really enjoyed it, apart from the seaweed. :stop:

Mrs M

Guru
Sliced Beef with Green Peppers in Black Bean Sauce. Thank you.

:hungry:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Friend and I went out for Chinese recently.
Ordered a platter as a starter with seaweed, spring rolls, etc. and other things I would never have ordered, so got a chance to try.
Main course was 3 set dishes so you couldn't choose, again tried something new, really enjoyed it, apart from the seaweed. :stop:
"Seaweed" in most UK restaurants and takeaways is actually deep fried spring cabbage.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I just order a number 7 off the lunch menu for $4.99, even comes with an eggroll. :smile:
I once went into a Chinese restaurant and saw a bloke being given the most enormous portion of food I've ever seen. It must have been a couple of feet high, and appeared to be mostly noodles and pork. I asked him what it was and he said "God knows, I only came in for 20 No6.*"

*(To explain to the under 45s, No6 were a brand of cigarettes, phased out in the 70s. )

Top Bottom