A Chinese meal anyone....................

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I also learnt pick out good Chinese restaurants to see if they are popular with Chinese patrons, another tip that proved useful.

For the minority of the UK population who don't know already this, this tip can also be used to find good

• Indian restaurants
  • Jamaican restaurants
  • Nepalese restaurants
  • Sri Lankan Restaurants
  • Fijian Restaurant
  • Egyptian restaurant.

Remember to check if they are popular with Chinese patrons first though.

I'm off to start a stating the culinary obvious thread.

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

I just order a number 7 off the lunch menu for $4.99, even comes with an eggroll. :smile:

If you are alone, looking for quick meal, its the way to go. If are alone and looking for a nice meal and have time, order a bowl of steamed rice and a seafood and tofu hotpot. It will set you back about £10 but the hotpot has soup, mixture of seafood, tofu and vegetables. A complete and hearty meal.

Alternatively order single standalone meals and I am not talking about the various combinations meals of rice and some meat dish which is not how the Chinese eat. Typical standalone dishes are the well known friend rice, various noodle dishes such wonton noodles and a combination of rice with mix of roast meats - duck, pork etc.

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

I regularly pop to China town for lunch. Most Chinese eat with forks, most non-Chinese eat with chopsticks.

Its a misunderstanding that all Chinese food is eaten with chopsticks. The giveaway is whether the rice is in a bowl or plate. If bowl, its chopstick. Noodle dishes whether bowl or plate is eaten using chopsticks. Chinese waiter told me that we Westerners get upset if they are not provided with chopsticks.

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

I normally get Singapore noodles and Rendang Prawns from my favourite Chinese restaurant. I know neither of those are Chinese dishes, but they are both lovely!

Rendang is not a Chinese dish at all but from Malaysia and Indonesia. It is a fantastic dish as they slow cook the meat in a thick curry paste. The original and true dish is Beef Rendang and eastern with steamed rice. It is usually the signature dish of a Malay / Indonesian restaurant. The dish is also found in Chinese restaurants that are run by Malaysian and Singapore Chinese.

TVC

For the minority of the UK population who don't know already this, this tip can also be used to find good

• Indian restaurants
  • Jamaican restaurants
  • Nepalese restaurants
  • Sri Lankan Restaurants
  • Fijian Restaurant
  • Egyptian restaurant.

Remember to check if they are popular with Chinese patrons first though.

I'm off to start a stating the culinary obvious thread.
Did a colleague tell you that? I slso heard that if there is a queue at a chip shop it means the fish is quite good.

robjh

Legendary Member
Once in China I saw a group of men come into a restaurant and order a plate of ducks' heads between them, off which they then picked the scraps of meat with their fingers and teeth. Even less meat I would have thought than the chicken's claws which are also popular.
You could try asking for ducks' heads in a Chinese restaurant over here.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General

• Indian restaurants
  • Jamaican restaurants
  • Nepalese restaurants
  • Sri Lankan Restaurants
  • Fijian Restaurant
  • Egyptian restaurant.
Hey, and late night kebabs for us Brits too!

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Yep, the OP is mostly right.

There's etiquette about where you pick food from on the plate- it should come from the quarter of the plate closest to you and spoons for picking up the food should be placed so they don't point at anyone who's sitting at the table.

There's all sorts of little rules but food is a communal affair to be enjoyed together.

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

My dad(2 years national service in Hong Kong) used to say that you must belch loudly after a Chinese meal to show your appreciation of the food. As kids me and my brother belched loudly in a Chinese restaurant once. We both got clips behind the ear from our mum. Our dad obviously didn't tell her the rule about belching loudly!:wacko:

One thing I found quite quesy about is their habit of using the toothpick as a matter of course even though they cupped their mouth while doing it. Thank god its the older generation and a dying in practice.

Top Bottom