A choice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
Bruges? Always liked Bruges and may try to get there again (by bike this time.)

Go to Ghent. Much more real. Not so up itself either.

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
Need some maxims for kit to take
Belgium is not like cycling to Patagonia, but some thoughts on must have would be welcome.

Like " If you aren't wearing it, you don't need it" or "once you're wet it doesn't matter"

I'm looking at kit for my early March 4 day hoteling trip to Belgium.

My list could be summarised as
*Clothes to be dry and warm to cycle in, the sundry medications that over 70 s seem to need, a toothbrush.
*Bike tools, puncture repair kit, inner tube, pump. Funny tool for adjusting the Gates belt drive.
*Bike cover masquarading as cycling cape.
*Phone & bike charger and cables.
*Bike locks
*Something smart for evenings.

Style question. I cycle in trainers, should I take another pair of shoes? Or risk sometimes spending evenings in wet shoes?

Emanresu

In comparison with my 30 item list, you list looks positively spartan. The only item I can see you might need is a Powerbank in case your phone needs charging.

PS. FX card to pay in Euros?

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
In comparison with my 30 item list, you list looks positively spartan. The only item I can see you might need is a Powerbank in case your phone needs charging.

PS. FX card to pay in Euros?

Well I was applying the "Snowdon test" as in would you carry this up Snowdon if you could possibly avoid it

Excellent point about the power pack. My E-Bike will not function without my phone. The app sucks up battery.

Gillstay

Über Member
Need some maxims for kit to take
Belgium is not like cycling to Patagonia, but some thoughts on must have would be welcome.

Like " If you aren't wearing it, you don't need it" or "once you're wet it doesn't matter"

I'm looking at kit for my early March 4 day hoteling trip to Belgium.

My list could be summarised as
*Clothes to be dry and warm to cycle in, the sundry medications that over 70 s seem to need, a toothbrush.
*Bike tools, puncture repair kit, inner tube, pump. Funny tool for adjusting the Gates belt drive.
*Bike cover masquarading as cycling cape.
*Phone & bike charger and cables.
*Bike locks
*Something smart for evenings.

Style question. I cycle in trainers, should I take another pair of shoes? Or risk sometimes spending evenings in wet shoes?

We used to take a very light pair of extra shoes often just so your feet got a change of scene. my mate took flip flops and I had espadrilles.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Go to Ghent. Much more real. Not so up itself either.

Both Ghent and Bruges are nice places.

Another suggestion; Ypres (Iepers as the locals say and write it). Lovely historic town virtually flattened by artillery in the Great War being so close to the front line, but rebuilt pretty much as was with the Germans footing the bill from their reparations

Last edited:

Gillstay

Über Member
Both Ghent and Bruges are nice places.

Another suggestion; Ypres (Iepers as the locals say and write it). Lovely historic town closed to flattened in the Great War being so close to thr front line, but rebuilt pretty much as was with the Germans footing the bill.

My chum managed to find a bit of film on you tube with a biplane circling the town and it looks very flat and trashed.

Top Bottom