A choice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
Mmm, why on earth would you go to Belgium? Oh, hang on ...

View attachment 721662

View attachment 721663

In the interests of full disclosure, the Westvleteren pic was in Portishead, but the point still stands

Well I lived there a long time. Enjoyed the beer and a lot of other stuff about the country.
On reflection I wonder why I declined taking nationality.
The irony is that my great great grandfather was an economic migrant from Belgian who took on British nationality.

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
No comment on your trip, but I've never understood this thing about researching the family tree.

You haven't got the family fortune, you're not entitled to any of it and it makes chuff all difference if your great, great, great, great grand daddy was a king, a peasant or a triple murdering bigamist! I'm sure there are better things to do with your spare time and resources?

Just knowing where I came from. Also some of the things in my background that were never discussed or explained to me

I have a week at the end of February when I will be unsupervised.
My choices are
Do nothing and skulk around the house
Take my bike on the train to Swansea and research my family tree. That will oblige me to make contact with relatives I would not recognise.
Train to Dover, take the ferry to Calais and cycle along the coast up to Ostend then train to Liege and research the Belgian bit if my family tree.

Interestingly the ferry, with my bike is cheaper than the train to Swansea.
Also in Belgium pensioners get a really good deal on trains.

#3 obviously!

Emanresu

Another one for leaving the country ... simply because its an election year. 10 more months of playground stuff with the country no further forward. Have 4 trips planned (1 down and 3 to go) simply to keep my sanity and sculpted physique.

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
Going abroad is the most attractive option. Even if only for a week.
Have realised it will start the 90/ 180 counter again.
The management and I will be out of synch again.
Decisions, decisions

Top Bottom