A close shave: the numpties are about...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Telling you now the driver that tried to overtake you is going to say you wobbled/swerved or something and he took evasive action, I know that he should have been keeping more distance but he will try and pin it on you in some small way as mitigation.

young Ed

Veteran
Oh, and then I cycled home from A&E. As you do.
how keen were doctors/nurses on that?
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Telling you now the driver that tried to overtake you is going to say you wobbled/swerved or something and he took evasive action, I know that he should have been keeping more distance but he will try and pin it on you in some small way as mitigation.
I ought to keep schtum about which driver the police are thinking about charging.

how keen were doctors/nurses on that?
Cheers Ed
This time they were reasonably relaxed about it. The previous time (a cracked radial head after a pedestrian ran out into my path) the nurse said "If I suggested you stayed off your bike for a while, would you do so? And after I replied "Erm, probably not, as I didn't last time, and it didn't seem to harm my recovery" she said "I didn't think you would. If you do fall off again, don't fall on the same side, if you can help it."

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Is it my imagination, or has everyone gone mad? I'm a pretty experienced and resilient cyclist, but the past week the proportion of stupid driving has gone through the roof round here. Today a business van pulled a very similar manoeuvre on me, near the brow of a blind hill, going over double white lines to pass me, and having to pull back in sharpish to avoid cars coming the other way. Fortunately this time they missed each other. The company's boss is now in possession of a copy of the photo of Saturday's carnage, with a request to his drivers to take more care. Grrr.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Sun in the mornings is awful this time of year...no excuse mind if people drive to the conditions..
lucky escape .. hope the shoulder feels ok tomorrow..

roads are full of idiots ,xmas and season of good will ,yer whatever..

DaveyA

Über Member
Glad that you are ok mate. This is happening more and more it seems. The thing that I can't get over is the fact that usually the driver of the car that has been forced to slow down or stop by the moron overtaking us then glares at us as if to say "what the hell are you playing at making that car overtake you like that". We always ride single file unless it is a very quiet road that we know well enough to ride alongside each other. I think some drivers must have got their driving licence free in a box of Corn Flakes or something.
Mind how you go.

D

Deleted member 1258

Glad that you are ok mate. This is happening more and more it seems. The thing that I can't get over is the fact that usually the driver of the car that has been forced to slow down or stop by the moron overtaking us then glares at us as if to say "what the hell are you playing at making that car overtake you like that". We always ride single file unless it is a very quiet road that we know well enough to ride alongside each other. I think some drivers must have got their driving licence free in a box of Corn Flakes or something.
Mind how you go.

I often wonder how may of these overtaking drivers realize that they've only got way with the overtake, be it on bike or car, because those around them have backed off.

andyfraser

Über Member
I often wonder how may of these overtaking drivers realize that they've only got way with the overtake, be it on bike or car, because those around them have backed off.
Probably none. It's as if they have to overtake a bike no matter what and just go for it. They're probably not thinking about any thing else.

DaveyA

Über Member
Then there's always the old favourite, car pulling out to overtake just as a traffic island is in the centre of the road. You can almost feel the indecision as their brains try to work out what best to do.
a. durr, carry on regardless and just cut in at the last minute and hope for the best
b. durr, just go around the traffic island on the other side of the road
c. durr, slam on the brakes and screech to a halt right in the middle of the road
See all of the above regularly, so far not all on the same day.
If it wasn't so annoying it would be a good laugh.

D

Deleted member 1258

Probably none. It's as if they have to overtake a bike no matter what and just go for it. They're probably not thinking about any thing else.

I've seen this both with cars and bikes, it seems sometimes its a case that if the vehicle is moving slower than them they must get passed.

D

Deleted member 1258

Then there's always the old favourite, car pulling out to overtake just as a traffic island is in the centre of the road. You can almost feel the indecision as their brains try to work out what best to do.
a. durr, carry on regardless and just cut in at the last minute and hope for the best
b. durr, just go around the traffic island on the other side of the road
c. durr, slam on the brakes and screech to a halt right in the middle of the road
See all of the above regularly, so far not all on the same day.
If it wasn't so annoying it would be a good laugh.

Many years ago om Hipswell Highway in Coventry, in the early morning I was cycling into work, the car came up behind me and shaped up for the pass and then realized there was a traffic island in the way, the driver went the wrong side of the island and nearly caused a multiple collision with the two cars coming the other way, an obvious case of a driver not thinking about what what they were doing.

Top Bottom