A close shave

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
So there I was, just chugging quietly up the hill that starts the Kettlehulme road out of Whaley Bridge today, approaching the left turn to Whingather Rocks when ... BANG!

A small hatchback driven by a madwoman had just passed and knocked something. I was still upright but stopped to check the bike. I soon realised that she had hit my lovely new Zefal Spy mirror. Here's a pic to show how tiny the mirror is.

DSC00474.JPG

It sticks out about one and a half inches from my bars. That's how close the silly cow was!
Of course, she stopped to check I was ok . In your dreams!
I hurled some choice anglo-saxon phrases after her ... which made me feel slightly better.
It's the first time anything like this has happened to me ... and on a bright sunny day with yours truly, by chance, wearing a bright yellow jersey. P'raps she didn't like the colour.
Thankfully the mirror survived intact. Good job it's not glass.
Those who know this road will know what a rat run it is. Many's the time I've commuted on it in the past on my (very powerful) motorbike and been overtaken by cars.

I guess there has to be a first time. And it could have been a lot worse.

Last edited:

ScotiaLass

Guru
OMG! Glad you're okay!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
You do wonder sometimes. I've been going out on training runs - 3-4 hours sort of thing - with friends, out in the middle of nowhere. Without fail, at some point on the ride we'll get a really close pass from someone when there's nothing coming the other way, so absolutely no reason for them not to give us a ten foot berth. You can only assume some people just hate cyclists and that's all there is to it.

Glad you (and your mirror) are ok.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
It scares the bejeezus, out, of you doesn't it. Have you stopped shaking yet?

albion

Guru
I get them most days but the dangerous ones seem to be allocated to certain neighbourhoods.
It is also there that lorries have overtaken a couple of times near the top of a narrow hill approaching a top blind bend.

I'm going to have to do some mathematics because the severity of the odds may mean I have to cycle elsewhere.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Er.... 'scuse me... 'scuse me.... may I ask a question?

The mirror is for keeping an eye on traffic approaching from behind, right?

So why didn't you see her coming up very close and swerve into the kerb to avoid being hit?

Top Bottom