A close shave

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bryony

Veteran
Scary!
Extra cake is required after such an episode.
^^^^ I agree with this!!

Glad you're ok!

Bloody Hell! That's close, to actually hit the mirror, and I thought I'd had a few close shaves. Been thinking about one of these reflectors on a stick, but, somewhere else someone suggested it would just be a 'target'. Did consider adding a couple really sharp screws to fix it on the end, but would probably end being charged with criminal damage!!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Are you chuffing serious????????????????/:banghead:

Yes, deadly serious! What's the mirror for? For viewing your impending doom?

"Oh dear.... looks like a swerving SUV whose driver is probably texting..... I'll take primary and teach 'em a lesson!"

Or:

"Oops, looks like that speeding truck is about to hit me... I'll force him to brake, eh!

No, the purpose of the mirror, presumably, is to give you prior warning of a problem approaching from behind so that action can be taken. If that means swerving into the gutter or a field gate or hopping onto the pavement, so be it. Id rather be alive than assertive.

Or am I missing something? Is the mirror for checking one's appearance?

wait4me

Veteran
Yes, deadly serious! What's the mirror for? For viewing your impending doom?

"Oh dear.... looks like a swerving SUV whose driver is probably texting..... I'll take primary and teach 'em a lesson!"

Or:

"Oops, looks like that speeding truck is about to hit me... I'll force him to brake, eh!

No, the purpose of the mirror, presumably, is to give you prior warning of a problem approaching from behind so that action can be taken. If that means swerving into the gutter or a field gate or hopping onto the pavement, so be it. Id rather be alive than assertive.

Or am I missing something? Is the mirror for checking one's appearance?

Whatever its for "Swerving to the kerb" (as in your first comment) IT CERTAINLY IS NOT

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
Glad you're ok I've had a few near misses recently. It can really unnerve you.
Thanks Paul. It's not bothered me too much but has increased my awareness.
Keep safe.

GrasB

Veteran
Er.... 'scuse me... 'scuse me.... may I ask a question?

The mirror is for keeping an eye on traffic approaching from behind, right?

So why didn't you see her coming up very close and swerve into the kerb to avoid being hit?
Realise something is about to happen the last thing you want to do is swerve very close to the kerb. Get it wrong or not see a drain cover & you may well end up under the wheels of the vehicle you're attempting to avoid... because it's a high stress situation you're much more likely to make that misjudgement/observation. Makes more sense if you're able to get on a side road, gate way, grass verge, etc. but getting close to the kerb is a very dangerous thing.

Top Bottom