A Close Shave

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had you down for a cut throat.

Others were down for a bullet.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I just use normal soap and throw away razor. Cost me may be £1 every two months. One razor last nearly two weeks and I don't shave week ends.

Reactions: TVC

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Arko is good stuff, better than anything in a can. I used a straight razor for a time but I think it needs honing, must get that done and get back on it.

Last edited:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I tried this earlier in the year, bought an expensive safety razor, a cut-throat, fancy soap, badger brush, feather blades etc etc etc. Months later I use the cut-throat very occasionally because it gives the best shave but takes ages, the safety razor now and again because it's a pleasure but it's not as close and the razor burn on my neck & throat is fierce. Most of my wet shaving is with the Mach3 because it's close, thorough and quick with zero cuts and no razor burn.

There's a reason why cut-throats and safety razors fell into disuse.

When I told my dad I'd bought a safety razor he thought I'd gone mad.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I returned to a good quality safety razor - a £20 Edwin Jagger so a nice heavy one but not daft money. Blades cost buttons. I will never revert to the various expensive mach 3 turbo supercharged quatro things I previously used. Simple and decent quality is simply better and cheaper

midlife

Guru
I can't believe it..... my dad was right;. after all these years of thinking it was his idea of a joke you can sharpen razors in a pyramid!

2Astromatic%20Razor%20Saver%20box.JPG

Shaun

Attachments

• 2Astromatic%20Razor%20Saver%20box.JPG
    2Astromatic%20Razor%20Saver%20box.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 17
In the winter, when I'm dossing in India for months on end, I go to the barber (he's 19) twice a week and have a cut throat shave. He lathers me up (ooh err) and shaves me twice and it's as smooth as you like. Then I have a face, head and shoulder massage and it costs £3.00.

Back home, I use a twin blade Bic (10 for £1.90 from Boots) and shave twice and it's nearly as good as India. Don't think I'll get the hang off a cut throat, so I'll stick to the Bics.

[QUOTE 4552998, member: 259"]A cut throat shave at the Turkish barbers near where I work costs three euros and you usually get a free coffee if you're man enough to drink it!

My dad used to shave with a cut-throat razor every day and sharpen it at the weekend. I did try it a few times, but I was too chicken to keep it up.[/QUOTE]

I Love the concept of being man enough to allow a total stranger access to your throat with a very sharp bladed instrument........ but not being man enough to drink the coffee

[QUOTE 4553005, member: 259"]Have you ever tried Turkish coffee? :ohmy:[/QUOTE]

We used to have a tradition of bringing back coffee when on deployment

The Turkish stuff was lethal

You could wire a "victim" up to an ECG and watch the heart pattern change as they drank it!

Top Bottom