A commute from hell....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goffins

It's mental, purely mental.

It reminds me of the Dr Who episode where by Millions of drivers have been stuck in a traffic Jam for several years yet still see the motorvehicle as a feasable mode of transport.

thomas

the tank engine
Had a few similar bits today. Mainly for road works, so I didn't filter all the way to the front but far enough back that I would get through the lights and only have a few people behind me.

At one point, past the traffic I had someone (I think a few cars back) who kept hooting. Not quite sure where they wanted me to go...cycle over the parked cars?...I just hooted back with the airzound and kept going.

Goffins

thomas said:
Had a few similar bits today. Mainly for road works, so I didn't filter all the way to the front but far enough back that I would get through the lights and only have a few people behind me.

At one point, past the traffic I had someone (I think a few cars back) who kept hooting. Not quite sure where they wanted me to go...cycle over the parked cars?...I just hooted back with the airzound and kept going.

As I was watching the video I couldn't help but think that cars should come with built in cycle ramps so you can just jump over them.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
My apologies, was meant a bit tongue in cheek - 2.16 looked 'close' and there isnt a second light at 2:43 so will take your word for it. ha ha

Gromit

Über Member
That was lovely. Don't really have any bits like that on my commute to work now in York.

LOGAN 5

Why do they do it? I mean sitting in jams like that on a daily basis when they know it's going to happen!

1. They choose to live in "cheaper" locations coz they know they can drive everywhere?

2. There is no public transport? Really?

3. It's too expensive? Not as much as the cost of driving tho.

4. They don't want to mix with the great "unwashed" on public transport.

5. They're just arrogant. The "me first" mentality.

6. They never passed their cycling proficiency test? At twelve.

7. They think it's too dangerous on the roads! Coz of them.

8. They're lazy?

9. They can't think of anything else to do. They can't walk as it's almost a mile! And the kids can't walk more than 100 meters coz they may get run down by idiot drivers like (the parents).

We're stuck with this car culture.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Actually where i work there is no public transport, where the A38 and A 50 meet in derbyshire.Takes me 15 minutes just to get from the car park to the roundabout on the days i do use the car .:blush:

The traffic in Dublin was like that or worse :blush: One job we did involved a business park right in one of the worst spots. It would regularly on average take 30-45 mins just to get out of their car park. When the results came back one of the surveys was completed by a bloke who lived 15 walk round the corner (that could take him an hour in the car) and he gave no reason why he actually needed the car!

I don't think:

LOGAN 5 said:
We're stuck with this car culture.

but it'll certainly be a hard task to change attitudes like that.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I recognize some of that. My commute is pretty quiet since I'm heading out towards Hemel Hempstead each day, occasionally I'll return home along the St Albans road on a Thursday evening just for the pleasure of filtering all the way down it.

Top Bottom