A commute I did yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carwash

Señor Member
bonj said:
But if it's safe, I don't see the harm.
Nah, he didn't get a fright at all. There was no danger to him, or to anybody else for that matter.

You're starting to sound like those arrogant drivers who say things like, "well, I can drive perfectly safely at 120mph while holding a conversation on my mobile, so I don't see why speed limits etc should apply to me!"

Do you really want us to associate you with such people?

Carwash

Señor Member
bonj said:
But if it's safe, I don't see the harm.

This also assumes that your judgement of whether or not it's safe to break a law put in place for your own safety and the safety of others is infallible, regardless of the potential consequences to others if turns out that you're wrong.

(I know, bonj, that you take as given the premise that you're infallible - I just think it's worth stating this assumption explicitly for the benefit of other forum members.)

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Carwash said:
You're starting to sound like those arrogant drivers who say things like, "well, I can drive perfectly safely at 120mph while holding a conversation on my mobile, so I don't see why speed limits etc should apply to me!"

Do you really want us to associate you with such people?

If you do it won't necessarily mean that I'm just as dangerous as they are.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Carwash said:
This also assumes that your judgement of whether or not it's safe to break a law put in place for your own safety and the safety of others is infallible, regardless of the potential consequences to others if turns out that you're wrong.

(I know, bonj, that you take as given the premise that you're infallible - I just think it's worth stating this assumption explicitly for the benefit of other forum members.)

My judgement of whether it is safe or not is infallible. I'm not one of these people that cycles around thinking 'what if' all the time.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
bonj said:
My judgement of whether it is safe or not is infallible. I'm not one of these people that cycles around thinking 'what if' all the time.

Laws like these are around because people like have shown their judgement isn't infallible. What you did was wrong and inexcusable, although arguably not very serious.

domtyler

Über Member
I thought you were pretty good bonj, Arch stop being so precious and give the lad a break. All cyclists skip through the odd red light, it is one of the perks of being on two wheels.

Car drivers have the perks of being protected in a collision, keeping warm when it's cold out, breaking the speed limits whenever they feel like it and habitually bullying cyclists just for fun. We can make as good progress as them though by not having to slow or stop all the time. They hate us for what we do, we hate them for what they do, can't see that position ever changing.

Carwash

Señor Member
bonj said:
My judgement of whether it is safe or not is infallible.

Now may be as good a time as any to remind forum members that should bonj ever be involved in a fatal cycling accident, the successful election of a new bonj will indicated by white smoke rising from the chimney of the Sistine Chapel.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

BentMikey said:
Laws like these are around because people like have shown their judgement isn't infallible.
If you meant people like me, then they're obviously not that much like me if they've shown themselves to be non-infallible.
Other people aren't infallible therefore you're not? :biggrin: That's not much of an argument. All people aren't the same. Some people are cretins, I'm not.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

domtyler said:
I thought you were pretty good bonj, Arch stop being so precious and give the lad a break.
Yeah, Arch. :biggrin: :biggrin:
domtyler said:
All cyclists skip through the odd red light, it is one of the perks of being on two wheels.

Car drivers have the perks of being protected in a collision, keeping warm when it's cold out, breaking the speed limits whenever they feel like it and habitually bullying cyclists just for fun. We can make as good progress as them though by not having to slow or stop all the time. They hate us for what we do, we hate them for what they do, can't see that position ever changing.

Yeah, exactly. We've got to have our perks. I see cyclists as like a sort of ether - we are like a gas on the roads. We don't get in the way, but equally we shouldn't be got in the way of.

domtyler said:
I thought you were pretty good bonj, Arch stop being so precious and give the lad a break. All cyclists skip through the odd red light, it is one of the perks of being on two wheels.

No they don't and no it isn't.

Carwash

Señor Member
bonj said:
I see cyclists as like a sort of ether - we are like a gas on the roads. We don't get in the way, but equally we shouldn't be got in the way of.

Unfortunately for you, Michelson and Morley demonstrated in 1887 that the æther does not exist. :biggrin:
<bonj disappears in a puff of logic>

Bonj,

I hope for your sake that you don't win the camera, or we will be subjected to many threads like this one.:biggrin: (go on folks enter to win the camera modeled by bonj: http://www.justgiving.com/magnatom )

I really am forming the opinion that your posts are tongue in cheek. However, be warned, cycling like that to keep up your 'bonj' cred will get you in trouble.

You have been warned...........:biggrin:

bonj said:
what sort of 'trouble'? :biggrin: are you threatening to run me down?

Remember, I know where you live.......:biggrin:;)

Seriously though, if you come out of junction the wrong way it could happen...

OP
OP
B

bonj2

magnatom said:
Remember, I know where you live.......:biggrin:;)

yeah, and I know where you live as well. But you don't know what I look like... but I do you. :biggrin: :biggrin:

magnatom said:
Seriously though, if you come out of junction the wrong way it could happen...

only if it's deliberate...!
not sure i like the tone of this.

Top Bottom