A commute I did yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KitsuneAndy

Yup, passengers often get out into the middle of the road. :blush:

Well no ones ever got out of the passenger door when I've been going past the left either, but apparantly it happens all the time and makes it insanely dangerous. Same as rolling through a red light at 5mph when you can see that no one is crossing the road is deadly.

Arch

Married to Night Train
KitsuneAndy said:
Well no ones ever got out of the passenger door when I've been going past the left either, but apparantly it happens all the time and makes it insanely dangerous. Same as rolling through a red light at 5mph when you can see that no one is crossing the road is deadly.

I've had to pull up sharpish for someone getting out of a car queueing at lights... When i suggested he check his mirror in future, he said "cyclists don't", and I have to aggree, I've never checked my mirror before opening the door of my bike... er...

Filtering on the left isn't 'insanely dangerous', if you do it at an appropriate slow speed, and look out for potential getter-outers. But it does happen. And it only has to happen once at speed to hurt...

Filtering down the inside of a large vehicle, that's dangerous, unless you can be absolutley positive it isn't going to move before you get past, and even then, I'd generally wait anyway. I don't have to be at the front of the queue all the time to benefit from cycling.

KitsuneAndy

Arch said:
I've had to pull up sharpish for someone getting out of a car queueing at lights... When i suggested he check his mirror in future, he said "cyclists don't", and I have to aggree, I've never checked my mirror before opening the door of my bike... er...

Filtering on the left isn't 'insanely dangerous', if you do it at an appropriate slow speed, and look out for potential getter-outers. But it does happen. And it only has to happen once at speed to hurt...

Filtering down the inside of a large vehicle, that's dangerous, unless you can be absolutley positive it isn't going to move before you get past, and even then, I'd generally wait anyway. I don't have to be at the front of the queue all the time to benefit from cycling.

I only ever filter at a fairly low speed and I have filtered past large vehices on occasion but only when it's the first vehicle in front of me and the lights have just changed red. I'd never stop beside one though, always make sure I'm far enough infront of it that I *know* the driver will be able to see me.

Top Bottom